Singularity Functions for Beam Bending

In summary, the conversation discusses a beam with a width of 10cm and vertical reaction loads on each end (x1 = 0cm, x2 = 10cm). The beam also has a vertical distributed load of 2,000 N/m spanning from 0cm to 5cm, and a 1,000 N point load located 7.5cm from the left end. Through statics, it is determined that the leftmost reaction load has a magnitude of 325 N and the rightmost reaction load has a magnitude of 775 N. The issue arises when converting the shear singularity function to a moment function, which leads to a discrepancy in the results. Possible typographic errors in the moment equation are
tangodirt
There is a beam of width 10cm, and vertical reaction loads on each end (x1 = 0cm, x2 = 10cm). Starting from the left end of the beam, we have a vertical distributed load of 2,000 N/m spanning from 0cm to 5cm. Finally, we have a 1,000 N point load located 7.5cm from the left end of the beam.

Through statics, it can be said that the left most reaction load (x1 = 0cm) is of magnitude 325 N while the right most reaction load (x2 = 10cm) has a magnitude of 775 N.

My singularity function for this system is shown below:

[tex]V = 325<x - 0>^{0} - 2000<x - 0>^{1} + 2000<x - 0.05>^{1} - 1000<x - 0.075>^{0} + 775<x - 0.1>^{0}[/tex]

Which, when plotted (my end goal here), works perfectly and as it should. My issue comes when I switch the shear (V) singularity function to a moment function by increasing the exponents by one (as I've been told).

Through integration of the shear singularity function, the moment equation then becomes:

[tex]M = 325<x - 0>^{1} - 2000<x - 0>^{2} + 2000<x - 0.05>^{2} - 1000<x - 0.075>^{1} + 775<x - 0.1>^{1}[/tex]

Which doesn't work quite as well. The moment function falls completely apart, but from every source I've read so far, it shouldn't. Also, if I draw the moment equation by hand (through the "area under the curve" approach), it hardly matches the output of the moment singularity equation.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tangodirt: But for n ≥ 0, w*integral[(<x - a>^n)*dx] = w*[1/(n+1)]*<x - a>^(n+1), not w*<x - a>^(n+1). Therefore, don't the second and third terms of your M equation contain a typographic mistake? See if this resolves the problem.

I would suggest taking a closer look at the integration process to ensure that it is being done correctly. It is possible that there may be a mistake in the integration or in the application of the boundary conditions. I would also recommend consulting with other experts in the field or conducting further research to see if there are any alternative methods for determining the moment function that may produce more accurate results. Additionally, it may be helpful to experiment with different values for the exponents and see if that improves the accuracy of the moment function. Overall, it is important to carefully analyze and check all steps in the process to ensure the accuracy of the results.

FAQ: Singularity Functions for Beam Bending

1. What are singularity functions for beam bending?

Singularity functions for beam bending are mathematical expressions that represent the deflected shape of a beam under a specific loading condition. They are used to determine the slope and deflection at any point along the length of the beam.

2. How are singularity functions used in beam bending analysis?

Singularity functions are used in conjunction with the governing equations of beam bending to solve for the unknown boundary conditions and obtain the deflection and slope at any point along the beam. They can also be used to determine the internal shear and moment forces within the beam.

3. What are the different types of singularity functions for beam bending?

There are two types of singularity functions used in beam bending analysis: unit load and unit moment functions. Unit load functions represent the effects of a concentrated load acting on the beam, while unit moment functions represent the effects of a concentrated moment acting on the beam.

4. How do singularity functions account for different loading conditions?

Singularity functions are multiplied by the magnitude of the applied load or moment to reflect the specific loading condition. For example, if a beam is subject to a distributed load, the corresponding singularity function would be multiplied by the magnitude of the distributed load to accurately represent its effects on the beam.

5. Are singularity functions only used for simple beam bending problems?

No, singularity functions can be used for more complex beam bending problems as well. They can be combined and integrated to solve for the deflection and slope at any point along the beam, even for beams with multiple loads and supports. However, for highly complex problems, numerical methods may be necessary to obtain an accurate solution.