Sinusoidal Radiation Statements (T/F)

o79
Homework Statement
True or False for each
Relevant Equations
Equations for sinusoidal electromagnetic radiation
Which of the following are true for sinusoidal radiation?
1) The electric field and the magnetic field have the same magnitude at the same point in space.
2) The electric field is perpendicular to the magnetic field.
3) The source of the radiation is oscillating charges.
4) The radiation pattern does not change with distance.
5) Oscillating charges are not accelerating.
6) The radiation travels perpendicular to the electric field.
7) The radiation travels perpendicular to the magnetic field.
8) The propagation direction of the radiation can be determined from the right hand rule.
9) The radiation pattern does not change with time.

Hi, I am having trouble with this problem. I have selected 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, however, it is marked as incorrect and would appreciate some guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have realized my mistakes. The radiation propagates perpendicular to both the electric AND magnetic fields. Also, since E = vB, electric and magnetic fields do not have the same magnitude.

o79 said:
I have realized my mistakes. The radiation propagates perpendicular to both the electric AND magnetic fields. Also, since E = vB, electric and magnetic fields do not have the same magnitude.
I am glad you found your mistakes and you don't need out help.
o79 said:
Hi, I am having trouble with this problem. I have selected 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, however, it is marked as incorrect and would appreciate some guidance.
For future reference: If you have trouble with problems, please understand that we cannot offer any unless we know what you think about the problem and what you tried.

Please read, understand and follow our homework guidelines, especially item 4, here
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/homework-help-guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/

Related to Sinusoidal Radiation Statements (T/F)

What is sinusoidal radiation?

Sinusoidal radiation refers to electromagnetic waves that vary in a sinusoidal manner, characterized by their amplitude, frequency, and phase. These waves are fundamental in the study of wave mechanics and electromagnetic theory.

Can sinusoidal radiation be represented mathematically?

Yes, sinusoidal radiation can be represented mathematically by the equation E(t) = E0 * sin(ωt + φ), where E(t) is the electric field at time t, E0 is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase.

Is sinusoidal radiation always periodic?

True. Sinusoidal radiation is always periodic, meaning it repeats itself at regular intervals. This periodic nature is a defining characteristic of sinusoidal waves.

Does sinusoidal radiation only apply to visible light?

False. Sinusoidal radiation applies to all forms of electromagnetic waves, not just visible light. This includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.

Are sinusoidal waves the only type of electromagnetic waves?

False. While sinusoidal waves are a fundamental and idealized form of electromagnetic waves, real-world electromagnetic waves can be more complex and may include combinations of sinusoidal waves, pulses, and other forms of wave modulation.