Modeling Satellite Orbit with Sinusoidal Functions

In summary, a satellite is deployed into an orbit that alternates between north and south of the equator, with its distance from the equator being approximated by a sine wave. It reaches its farthest point north (4500 km) 15 minutes after launch and its farthest point south after half an orbit. The equation for the distance in terms of time is l(t)=Asin(xt+a), and the period can be found using the formula 2pi/k. To find the distance 1 hour after launch, substitute 60 into the time equation.
Cuisine123

Homework Statement

A satellite is deployed from a space shuttle into an orbit which goes alternately north and south
of the equator. Its distance from the equator over time can be approximated by a sine wave. It
reaches 4500 km, its farthest point north of the equator, 15 minutes after the launch. Half an
orbit later it is 4500 km south of the equator, its farthest point south. One complete orbit takes
2 hours.

a. Find an equation of a sinusoidal function that models the distance of the satellite from
the equator.
b. How far away from the equator is the satellite 1 hour after launch?

Physics news on Phys.org
If anyone has any clue to this question, please help, because I really need it soon.

You should start off with what you have:
sinusoidal function means a function off this sort: A*sin(xt+a), where a and A are constants.
The info gives you a couple of equations

[tex]
(i)\ l(t)=Asin(xt+a)\leq4500km
[/tex]
[tex]
(ii)\ l(t)=l(t+2h)
[/tex]
[tex]
(iii)\ l(15min)=Asin(x*15+a)=4500km
[/tex]

Assume the equator is 0, and the max/min is 4500. This is your amplitude. You can find your period by using period=2pi/k, which would equate to:

period= 360/45
period=8 (I believe your working in radians?)

I might be wrong about the period, but it's pretty easy to go on from there. To do question #2, just substitute 60 into time.

FAQ: Modeling Satellite Orbit with Sinusoidal Functions

What are sinusoidal word problems?

Sinusoidal word problems are mathematical problems that involve sinusoidal functions, which are functions that follow a repeating pattern over time. These problems often involve real-life scenarios, such as the height of a bouncing ball or the temperature over a period of time.

What is the process for solving sinusoidal word problems?

The first step in solving a sinusoidal word problem is to identify the sinusoidal function involved. This may be in the form of a sine or cosine function. Next, you will need to determine the amplitude, period, and phase shift of the function. Then, you can use the given information in the problem to create an equation and solve for the unknown variable.

What are some common mistakes when solving sinusoidal word problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert the period or frequency to the appropriate units, such as from hours to radians. It is also important to be mindful of the signs in the equation, as a negative sign can change the direction of the graph. Another mistake is using the wrong formula for amplitude, as it differs between sine and cosine functions.

How can I check my answer for a sinusoidal word problem?

You can check your answer by graphing the equation and comparing it to the given information in the problem. You can also plug in the solution into the original equation to see if it satisfies all the conditions. Additionally, you can use a calculator to evaluate the function at specific points and compare the results to the given data.

What are some tips for solving sinusoidal word problems efficiently?

Some tips for solving these types of problems efficiently include carefully reading the problem and identifying the given information, setting up the equation correctly, and double-checking your work. It may also be helpful to draw a sketch or graph to visualize the problem and make sure your solution makes sense in the context of the problem.