Sinusoids represented by Phasors

In summary, the phasor I = -3 + j4 A can be written in polar form as I = 5 <126.87. To find the angle, tan-1(4/-3) is used and adding 180 gives the same answer. This is because the angle is measured from the x-axis, so adding 180 gives the same result.
salman213
1. Find the sinusoids represented by these phasors:
(a) I = -3 + j4 A

well to convert first to polar they got the following

they didnt show their steps:

I = 5 <126.87

then they said

i(t) = 5 cos(wt + 126.87)

What I don't get is the fact that how they got 126.87

to get 5 i just take 3 and 4 sum their squares and take the square root.

to find the angle i would do tan-1(y/x) = tan-1(4/-3)=-53.13

ok since its tangent you may say u can add 180 and it is the same answer which is what they did -53.13 +180=126.87

but my question is WHY. why do they add the 180 if its the same thing. Whats the use. I would just leave my final answer as

i(t) = 5cos(wt - 53.13)

why add 180?

• Informative
Likes Badhon
Physics news on Phys.org
It's easily seen if you sketch the Argand diagram for -3+j4. Remember that the angle you want is measured from the x-axis on the right to the complex number "vector". And that is given by 180 - 53.13.

I would explain that the reason we add 180 degrees to the angle in this case is because we are dealing with a complex number in the form of a phasor. A phasor is a vector representation of a sinusoidal function, where the magnitude represents the amplitude and the angle represents the phase shift.

In this case, the phasor I = -3 + j4 A can be converted to polar form as I = 5 <126.87, where 5 is the magnitude and 126.87 is the angle in degrees. However, when we convert back to the time-domain, we need to consider the direction of the vector in relation to the x-axis.

In the time-domain, the cosine function represents the x-component of the phasor, and the sine function represents the y-component. In this case, the x-component is negative and the y-component is positive, which means that the angle is in the second quadrant. However, the inverse tangent function only gives us the angle in the first or fourth quadrant, so we need to add 180 degrees to get the correct angle in the second quadrant.

Therefore, the correct representation of the sinusoid would be i(t) = 5 cos(wt + 126.87), which is equivalent to i(t) = 5 cos(wt - 53.13). Both representations are correct, but adding 180 degrees ensures that we are representing the correct phase shift in the time-domain.

Related to Sinusoids represented by Phasors

1. What are sinusoids represented by phasors?

Sinusoids represented by phasors are a mathematical representation of a sinusoidal waveform, which is a type of wave that occurs frequently in science and engineering. Phasors are used to represent the magnitude and phase of the sinusoid, making it easier to analyze and manipulate the waveform.

2. How are phasors used to represent sinusoids?

Phasors are typically represented as complex numbers, with the real part representing the magnitude of the sinusoid and the imaginary part representing the phase. The magnitude and phase can be determined using trigonometric functions and can be plotted on a complex plane as a vector.

3. What advantages do phasors offer in analyzing sinusoids?

Phasors offer several advantages in analyzing sinusoids. They make it easier to perform mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication on sinusoids. They also allow for the use of graphical methods to analyze sinusoids, making it easier to visualize the waveform and its properties.

4. How are phasors related to the concept of frequency in sinusoids?

Phasors and frequency are closely related in sinusoids. The frequency of a sinusoid can be determined by the rate at which the phasor rotates on the complex plane. A higher frequency sinusoid will have a faster rotating phasor, while a lower frequency sinusoid will have a slower rotating phasor.

5. Can phasors be used to analyze non-sinusoidal waveforms?

Yes, phasors can be used to analyze non-sinusoidal waveforms as well. Any periodic waveform can be represented as a sum of sinusoids of different frequencies and phases, and phasors can be used to represent and analyze these components separately. This makes phasors a useful tool in the analysis of various types of signals and systems.