Situation described by a function.

• Thread starter Jacobpm64
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: The slope is the same no matter which point you pick, so you can pick a point which makes the slope easy to understand.so.. to continue..i have the answers for a and b.. time to work out c.130 = (1/40)x + 65x = 2600In summary, the charge per cubic foot is 2.5 cents, the equation for total cost is y = (1/40)x + 65, and 2600 cubic feet of water used would lead to a bill of $130.
Jacobpm64
Residents of the town of Maple Grove who are connected to the municipal water supply are billed a fixed amount yearly plus a charge for each cubic foot of water used. A household using 1000 cubic feet was billed $90, while one using 1600 cubic feet was billed $105.

a) What is the charge per cubic foot?
b) Write an equation for the total cost of a resident's water as a function of cubic feet of water used.
c) How many cubic feet of water used would lead to a bill of $130?

All right, here are my attempts. I first did the whole find the slope thing.
(1000, 90) , (1600, 105)
(105 - 90) / (1600 - 1000) = 15/600 = 1/40
So, this means that for $1, you get 40 cubic feet. (but that isn't the question... the question is how much does 1 cubic foot cost...)

that was the first thing that confused me.. but i decided that maybe i was going in the right direction, so I tried to keep working... by trying to write the equation.

y = mx + b
90 = (1/40)(1000) + b
90 = 25 + b
b = 65
y = (1/40)x + 65

now that i had the equation, i plugged in a 1 for x to see what 1 cubic foot would cost.

y = (1/40) (1) + 65
y = 1/40 + 65
y = $65.025

so, now i subtracted that amount from the fixed amount
$65.025 - $65 = $.025 or 2.5 cents

What confuses me is ... .025 = 1/40 (my slope), but i thought the slope meant 1 dollar for 40 cubic feet, now 1 cubic foot for .025 cents. And if it does work out, i just would like to know why you can switch the variables around like that so easily.

so.. to continue..

i have the answers for a and b.. time to work out c.
130 = (1/40)x + 65
x = 2600

a) 2.5 cents/cubic ft
b)y = (1/40)x + 65
c)2600 cubic feet of water used

I think it's all correct, but i seriously want to know why the variables can be switched .. because the slope should be $1 for 40 cubic feet, and not 2.5 cents for 1 cubic foot. Yes, it does make sense, i just don't know why.. lol..

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jacobpm64 said:
Residents of the town of Maple Grove who are connected to the municipal water supply are billed a fixed amount yearly plus a charge for each cubic foot of water used. A household using 1000 cubic feet was billed $90, while one using 1600 cubic feet was billed $105.

a) What is the charge per cubic foot?
b) Write an equation for the total cost of a resident's water as a function of cubic feet of water used.
c) How many cubic feet of water used would lead to a bill of $130?

All right, here are my attempts. I first did the whole find the slope thing.
(1000, 90) , (1600, 105)
(105 - 90) / (1600 - 1000) = 15/600 = 1/40
So, this means that for $1, you get 40 cubic feet. (but that isn't the question... the question is how much does 1 cubic foot cost...)
You just said what it cost: $(1/40). How many cents is that?
that was the first thing that confused me.. but i decided that maybe i was going in the right direction, so I tried to keep working... by trying to write the equation.

y = mx + b
90 = (1/40)(1000) + b
90 = 25 + b
b = 65
y = (1/40)x + 65

now that i had the equation, i plugged in a 1 for x to see what 1 cubic foot would cost.

y = (1/40) (1) + 65
y = 1/40 + 65
y = $65.025

so, now i subtracted that amount from the fixed amount
$65.025 - $65 = $.025 or 2.5 cents

What confuses me is ... .025 = 1/40 (my slope), but i thought the slope meant 1 dollar for 40 cubic feet, now 1 cubic foot for .025 cents. And if it does work out, i just would like to know why you can switch the variables around like that so easily.
1 dollar for 40 cubic feet is the same as 2 dollars for 80 cubic feet, or 1/10 dollars (10 cents) for 4 cubic feet, or 1/40 of a dollar (2.5 cents) for 1 cubic foot. So long as you keep them in proportion you can scale them.

Related to Situation described by a function.

1. What is a function in the context of a situation?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two variables, where one variable (the input) determines the value of the other variable (the output). In the context of a situation, a function can represent a real-world scenario, such as the relationship between time and distance traveled.

2. How is a function described in mathematical terms?

A function is typically described using an equation or formula, where the input variable is represented by a letter, such as x, and the output variable is represented by another letter, such as y. For example, the function y = 2x + 3 represents a relationship where the output (y) is equal to two times the input (x) plus three.

3. What does the independent variable represent in a function?

The independent variable, often denoted by x, is the input of a function and is typically the variable that is being controlled or changed. In a real-world scenario, the independent variable could represent time, distance, or another measurable quantity.

4. What does the dependent variable represent in a function?

The dependent variable, often denoted by y, is the output of a function and is typically the variable that is being measured or observed. In a real-world scenario, the dependent variable could represent temperature, cost, or another measurable result.

5. How can a function be used to model a real-world situation?

A function can be used to model a real-world situation by representing the relationship between two variables in a mathematical form. By understanding this relationship, we can make predictions and analyze the behavior of the situation in different scenarios. For example, a function can be used to model the growth of a population over time or the relationship between supply and demand in an economy.