Skating ramp, only height given. Kinematic equations.

In summary, a skater jumps off a quarterpipe ramp and reaches 5m over the ramp. We can assume that he jumps in a vertical line. Find the speed the skater had before jumping off the ramp.
LogarithmLuke

Homework Statement

A skater jumps off a quarterpipe ramp and reaches 5m over the ramp. We can assume that he jumps in a vertical line. Find the speed the skater had before jumping off the ramp.

Homework Equations

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/introductory-physics-formulary.110015/
All the 1-D kinematic equations. It is not intended that you should use any more advanced equations than this.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

It may seem like i haven't put in any effort, but i really have no clue as to how to solve this one. We have only been given the height, no speed, no acceleration and no start speed. I have never solved a problem like this where I've been given so little information.

Physics news on Phys.org
And yet it is solvable ! A matter of picking the right equations from Doc's long list. Your job ! Propose a few candidates and we'll help you find the right one(s).

LogarithmLuke said:

Homework Statement

A skater jumps off a quarterpipe ramp and reaches 5m over the ramp. We can assume that he jumps in a vertical line. Find the speed the skater had before jumping off the ramp.

Homework Equations

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/introductory-physics-formulary.110015/
All the 1-D kinematic equations. It is not intended that you should use any more advanced equations than this.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

It may seem like i haven't put in any effort, but i really have no clue as to how to solve this one. We have only been given the height, no speed, no acceleration and no start speed. I have never solved a problem like this where I've been given so little information.

You've been given all the information necessary to solve this problem.

Lookit:
1. A skater jumps off a quarterpipe ramp and reaches 5m over the ramp. This tells you how high the skater was able to go after leaving the ramp
2. We can assume that he jumps in a vertical line. This tells you what kind of motion to use.

So, to recap: something travels in a vertical line for 5 meters after jumping from something.

Could you envision a solution if I told you that instead of someone jumping, you threw a ball straight up 5 meters. Find out how fast the ball was thrown to reach this distance?

BvU said:
And yet it is solvable ! A matter of picking the right equations from Doc's long list. Your job ! Propose a few candidates and we'll help you find the right one(s).
I would pick one that includes length/position as this is the only variable we know. I couldn't find it on the list, but at school we used the following equation alot, where x is the position/length. x=1/2(v0+v)t. I guess you could also consider the displacement equation Doc AL listed: x=x0+v0t+(1/2)at^2.

So if it was a ball we know that it has the acceleration 9.81m/s^2 when falling down vertically, but i still wouldn't be able to solve it just knowing the height.

Good start. x=1/2(v0+v)t is nice for an average velocity 1/2(v0+v). It may even work here. x=x0+v0t+(1/2)at^2 looks a bit more promising ! You know a, you know x - x0 and that leaves two unknown variables. So we need one more equation... must be in the vicinity of this one in Doc's list !

"length/position as this is the only variable we know" is not completely true. What about the vertical velocity at the highest point ?

Hm so we know that v(end speed)=0 when s(height)=5. Perhaps we could use this one: v^2=v0^2+2as. We know v(when s=5). We know a, and we have a value to use for s. Seems like that one should work.

I would think so ...
A safer way to bring in this equation is as "conservation of mechanical energy": ##\ \ {1\over 2} m v_0^2 + mg h_0 = {1\over 2} m v_1^2 + mg h_1 \ \ ## which then becomes your equation.

Another candidate is ##v(t) = v(0) + at##

For the answer, it of course boils down to the same.

Related to Skating ramp, only height given. Kinematic equations.

1. How do you calculate the time it takes for a skater to reach the bottom of a ramp given the height?

Using the kinematic equation: h = vi*t + 1/2*g*t^2, where h is the height, vi is the initial velocity (usually 0 for a skater starting at rest), g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time. Rearranging the equation to solve for t, we get: t = sqrt(2h/g). This gives us the time it takes for the skater to reach the bottom of the ramp.

2. Can the kinematic equations be used to calculate the speed of the skater at any point on the ramp?

Yes, the kinematic equations can be used to calculate the velocity of the skater at any point on the ramp. The relevant equation for this is: v = vi + a*t, where v is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. This equation can be rearranged to solve for v, giving us the velocity at any point on the ramp.

3. What is the acceleration of the skater as they go down the ramp?

The acceleration of the skater is the same as the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared. This means that the skater's speed will increase by 9.8 m/s every second they are going down the ramp.

4. Can the kinematic equations be used to calculate the distance traveled by the skater on the ramp?

Yes, the distance traveled by the skater on the ramp can be calculated using the kinematic equation: d = vi*t + 1/2*a*t^2, where d is the distance, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. This equation can be rearranged to solve for d, giving us the distance traveled by the skater on the ramp.

5. Are there any other factors that need to be considered when using the kinematic equations for a skater on a ramp?

Yes, the kinematic equations only take into account the effects of gravity on the skater. Other factors such as air resistance, friction, and the shape of the ramp may also affect the skater's motion and should be taken into consideration when using these equations.