Sketch the graphs of the functions - Calculus question

In summary, the problem asks to sketch the graph of the function f(x) = x/(2x - 1)^3 and identify various characteristics such as intervals of increase and decrease, concavity, relative maximum and minimum points, points of inflection, and asymptotes. The solution involves finding the first and second derivatives of the function and analyzing their behavior to determine the characteristics. The graph has a minimum point at x = 0 and is concave up everywhere, with no points of inflection. The horizontal asymptote is y = 0 and there are no vertical asymptotes. The graph can be easily sketched by plotting points and connecting them with smooth curves.
Mary4ever

Homework Statement

Sketch the graphs of the functions. Indicate intervals on which the function is increasing, decreasing, concave up, or concave down; indicate relative maximum points, relative minimum points, points of inflection, horizontal asymptotes, vertical asymptotes, symmetry, and those intercepts that can be obtained conveniently:

Homework Equations

y=x/((2x-1)^3)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a solution, but it involves a graph, which I cannot put here

Physics news on Phys.org
Mary4ever said:

Homework Statement

Sketch the graphs of the functions. Indicate intervals on which the function is increasing, decreasing, concave up, or concave down; indicate relative maximum points, relative minimum points, points of inflection, horizontal asymptotes, vertical asymptotes, symmetry, and those intercepts that can be obtained conveniently:

Homework Equations

y=x/((2x-1)^3)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a solution, but it involves a graph, which I cannot put here
Hello Mary4ever. Welcome to PF !

That makes it difficult to say whether your solution is correct or not.

Can you give your results for: intervals on which the function is increasing, decreasing, concave up, or concave down; indicate relative maximum points, relative minimum points, points of inflection, horizontal asymptotes, vertical asymptotes, symmetry, and those intercepts that can be obtained conveniently ?

For relative maxima and minima,

f'(x) = 0 gives e^x = e^{-x}, which happens when x=0, only.

f''(0) =f(0) = 1

and so x=0 is a minimum. It is also an absolute minimum, because f is increasing for
x>0 and decreasing for x<0.

f''(x) > 0 for all x and so concave up everywhere, no points of inflection.

Please let me know if this is correct, and please let me know the asymptotes and how to sketch the graph. Thank you

Mary4ever said:
For relative maxima and minima,

f'(x) = 0 gives e^x = e^{-x}, which happens when x=0, only.
Where does ex come into this problem?

Your function is f(x) = x/(2x - 1)3.
Mary4ever said:
f''(0) =f(0) = 1

and so x=0 is a minimum. It is also an absolute minimum, because f is increasing for
x>0 and decreasing for x<0.

f''(x) > 0 for all x and so concave up everywhere, no points of inflection.

Please let me know if this is correct, and please let me know the asymptotes and how to sketch the graph. Thank you

Related to Sketch the graphs of the functions - Calculus question

1. What is the purpose of sketching graphs in calculus?

Sketching graphs in calculus helps us visualize and understand the behavior of a function. It allows us to see how the function changes over a certain interval and helps us identify important characteristics such as zeros, maxima, and minima.

2. How do you sketch a graph of a function in calculus?

To sketch a graph of a function in calculus, we first need to identify the x and y intercepts, any asymptotes, and critical points. Then, we plot these points and use them to draw the general shape of the graph. Finally, we use the behavior of the function (increasing or decreasing, concave up or concave down) to complete the graph.

3. Can you sketch a graph of a function without using calculus?

Yes, it is possible to sketch a graph of a function without using calculus. However, using calculus can provide more precise and accurate results. Without calculus, we can still plot points and use them to draw the general shape of the graph, but we may not be able to identify important characteristics such as maxima and minima.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when sketching graphs in calculus?

Some common mistakes to avoid when sketching graphs in calculus include not identifying all critical points, ignoring asymptotes, and incorrectly labeling the axes. It is important to carefully analyze the function and its behavior to accurately sketch the graph.

5. How can sketching graphs in calculus be useful in real-life applications?

Sketching graphs in calculus can be useful in real-life applications, such as analyzing the growth or decay of a population, predicting the trajectory of a moving object, or optimizing a business's profit. By understanding the behavior of a function, we can make informed decisions and solve real-world problems.