Sketch waveform to represent the transient response

In summary: A cos(ωt+ζx)where y is the output, A is the amplitude (or magnitude) of the output, ω is the frequency of the input, and x is the time derivative of y with respect to time.The response of an electronic system to a stimulus is most often portrayed as a plot of the output versus time, the output having the same units as that of the input stimulus. This is not always the case for example the desired "output" might be a particular current that occurs as a result of a given voltage input, but that's less common than, say, a ratio of voltage output to voltage input. When looking at system responses
Hndstudent said:
Hi Gneill. please can you take a look at my sketch and let me know if i am anywhere near?

Thanks
Take a look at the set of normalized curves presented on the wikipedia page: RLC Circuit

Physics news on Phys.org
Gremlin said:
I have no idea where to begin with this.

The question gives us:

a) ζ = 0.5, ω = 1×10^3 rad s^-1
b) ζ = 0.2, ω = 2×10^3 rad s^-1
c) ζ = 2, ω = 1×10^3 rad s^-1

The only thing i can find that relates ζ & ω is ζ = α/ω

a) α = 1000
b) α = 800
c) α = 4000

Apologies for digging up an old thread but I am trying to work out how you came to these answers above, namely ##\alpha = 1000##, ##\alpha=800## and ##\alpha = 4000##.

I get ##\alpha =500##, ##\alpha=400## and ##\alpha = 2000## respectfully. I am obviously wrong but could someone explain where I am going wrong with this please ??
thanks

David J said:
Apologies for digging up an old thread but I am trying to work out how you came to these answers above, namely ##\alpha = 1000##, ##\alpha=800## and ##\alpha = 4000##.

I get ##\alpha =500##, ##\alpha=400## and ##\alpha = 2000## respectfully. I am obviously wrong but could someone explain where I am going wrong with this please ??
thanks

Your alpha values and Gremlin's alpha values seem to have a constant relationship with each other.
Maybe you should look into how you did it, and what the equation is.

Hint... what do you have to do to change all of your answers to match Gremlin's?

Yes, the constant relationship is that my values are 50% of his values so for my values to be correct I need to multiply by 2 but I can't seem to see why. I just re arranged the equation below but it didnt work out.

"The only thing i can find that relates ζ & ω is ζ = α/ω"

I cannot see where the X 2 is required unless I am missing something to do with the "rad s^-1" which is common to all of the ##\omega## values

Reading these threads I am still lost at how the natural frequency fits in with the sketch of the waveforms.
I understand the shapes of the curves from damping ratio but struggling with the significance of the frequency.
Looking through my notes I can see the natural frequency has a great importance in the differential equation but can't relate it to the graph :-(