Sketching a curve to how unique solutions

• Thread starter trap101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the conversation discusses how to sketch the graph of the equation x - e^(1-x) - y^3 = 0 and how to show that for each x there is a unique y satisfying the equation. The speaker describes their attempt at isolating y and finding the y-intercept and x-intercept of the graph. They then look at the solution and discuss the asymptotic behavior of the graph as x approaches infinity and negative infinity. The concept of using previously proven facts and understanding the behavior of simple functions to graph complex functions is also mentioned.
trap101
Sketch the graph of the equation x - e^(1-x) - y^3 = 0, Show that for each x there is a unique y satisfying the equation.

Attempt:

So the first thing I did was isolate y in order to put the equation in a form to graph (somewhat). did that and got y = (x-e^(1-x))^1/3.

Got the y-int: (0, -e^1/3), x-int: (1,0) [I didn't get this, this was in soln, how'd they get?]

Now after my attempt to graph it, I look at the solution and they say:

we see that the graph is asymptotic to the curve y= x^1/3 as x-->∞ and asymptotic to the curve y = -e^[(1-3)/3] as x --> -∞

How is there any asymptotic behavior? The expression doesn't indicate any restrictions. This is based on Implicit Function Thm by the way

Physics news on Phys.org
trap101 said:
Got the y-int: (0, -e^1/3), x-int: (1,0) [I didn't get this, this was in soln, how'd they get?]
They got it by observation. If you can understand the shape of the graphs y=x and y=-e1-x, then adding those together (because we are trying to solve [itex]x-e^{1-x}=0[/itex]) must give us an x-intercept at a reasonably small value of x that is greater than 0. x=1 is what we're looking for.

trap101 said:
Now after my attempt to graph it, I look at the solution and they say:

we see that the graph is asymptotic to the curve y= x^1/3 as x-->∞ and asymptotic to the curve y = -e^[(1-3)/3] as x --> -∞
Well what happens as [itex]x\to\infty[/itex] for [itex]e^{1-x}[/itex]? And try comparing ex with x as [itex]x\to\infty[/itex], which value grows faster?

Mentallic said:
They got it by observation. If you can understand the shape of the graphs y=x and y=-e1-x, then adding those together (because we are trying to solve [itex]x-e^{1-x}=0[/itex]) must give us an x-intercept at a reasonably small value of x that is greater than 0. x=1 is what we're looking for.

Mentallic said:
Well what happens as [itex]x\to\infty[/itex] for [itex]e^{1-x}[/itex]? And try comparing ex with x as [itex]x\to\infty[/itex], which value grows faster?

Well for the first part as [itex]x\to\infty[/itex] for [itex]e^{1-x}[/itex] the function will tend to 0, but if I'm studying the behavior as x-->∞ don't I have to take into account the other portion of the expression i.e: x from [x-e^(1-x)]? so the e^(1-x) will go to 0, but that other x goes to ∞. That's why I'm confused I know e^x will go to ∞ faster than x alone but that would force my expression to "break" the asymptote.

trap101 said:
Well for the first part as [itex]x\to\infty[/itex] for [itex]e^{1-x}[/itex] the function will tend to 0, but if I'm studying the behavior as x-->∞ don't I have to take into account the other portion of the expression i.e: x from [x-e^(1-x)]? so the e^(1-x) will go to 0, but that other x goes to ∞.
Yes exactly, but the whole point of an asymptote is that one function tends to get closer and closer to another.
In this case, as [itex]x\to\infty[/itex], [itex]e^{1-x}\to 0[/itex] therefore [itex]x-e^{1-x}\to x[/itex], which is why your function is asymptotic to [itex]y_1=x^{1/3}[/itex] as [itex]x\to \infty[/itex].

trap101 said:
That's why I'm confused I know e^x will go to ∞ faster than x alone but that would force my expression to "break" the asymptote.
I understand what you're thinking, and in fact you're right. Asymptotes are defined as being curves that approach each other. They need to get arbitrarily close to a distance of zero between them.
I believe the point your teacher was trying to make is that if you're looking to sketch that graph, then you can get an idea of what happens as [itex]x\to -\infty[/itex] because it'll look as though the graph is asymptotic to [tex]y_2=e^{\frac{1-x}{3}}[/tex] (but it's not!) because the fractional difference between the values of [tex]y=\left(x-e^{1-x}\right)^{1/3}[/tex] and y2 will become very small for x values <0 (but the difference won't approach zero).

Ok, in this instance I see what your talking about, now in general from how you went about explaining things I gather what may arise sometimes is that I have to refer to the graphs of functions I'm familiar with i.e e^x, x^1/3, etc and relate them to my given function to give me an idea of the behavior of the "complex" function to graph? It's really appearing more and more that we have to use previously proven facts in order to "model" these complex looking functions. Am I on the right train of thought?

Thanks by the way.

trap101 said:
Ok, in this instance I see what your talking about, now in general from how you went about explaining things I gather what may arise sometimes is that I have to refer to the graphs of functions I'm familiar with i.e e^x, x^1/3, etc and relate them to my given function to give me an idea of the behavior of the "complex" function to graph? It's really appearing more and more that we have to use previously proven facts in order to "model" these complex looking functions. Am I on the right train of thought?

Thanks by the way.

Yep, pretty much. You need to have a firm grasp with the basic functions, such as your polynomials, exponentials, logarithms, trig etc. and then as was shown in this problem, it might not be clearly obvious how you'll be needing to graph such functions, but what you can do is consider intercepts, asymptotes, turning points and anything else you feel is deemed necessary. You may even want to plug in some values to get a better idea of what's going on.

Use all the tools you can.

FAQ: Sketching a curve to how unique solutions

1. What is the purpose of sketching a curve to determine unique solutions?

Sketching a curve is a visual way to represent a mathematical equation and its solutions. It allows us to see the relationship between variables and better understand the behavior of the equation. Determining unique solutions is important because it tells us if there is only one solution or if there are multiple solutions to the equation.

2. How do I sketch a curve to determine unique solutions?

To sketch a curve, you will need to plot points on a graph and connect them to create a smooth curve. The points should correspond to the solution(s) of the equation. If the equation has multiple solutions, you will need to plot each one and connect them to create a curve with multiple branches.

3. What does it mean if a curve has no solutions?

If a curve has no solutions, it means that the equation has no real solutions. This could be because the equation is not solvable or because the solutions are imaginary numbers. In either case, the curve will not intersect the x-axis at any point.

4. Can a curve have more than one unique solution?

Yes, a curve can have more than one unique solution. This means that the equation has multiple sets of values that satisfy the equation. Each set of values will result in a different point on the curve, creating multiple solutions.

5. How can I check if my sketch accurately represents the unique solutions of the equation?

To check if your sketch accurately represents the unique solutions of the equation, you can plug in the coordinates of the points on the curve into the original equation. If the equation is satisfied and the value of x is the same as the x-coordinate of the point, then your sketch is accurate. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator or software to graph the equation and compare it to your sketch.

Back