Sketching a graph from a function

Then evaluate the derivative of the d(t) function at that value of t to get the instantaneous speed at that time.
Specter

Homework Statement

The path of a baseball relative to the ground can be modeled by the function d(t)=-t2+8t+1 where d(t) represents the height of the ball in meters, and t represents time in seconds.

a. Sketch a grpah of the function between 0 and 9 seconds.
b. What is the speed of the ball when it hits the ground?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to do this. It's in the first unit of my calculus class. I tried creating a table of values and then plotting the points but that didn't work. I also tried solving for d(0) through d(9) and then plotting the points but that gave me different answers then what others were getting. Any help on where I should start would be great, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Plugging in points and connecting the dots is one way to get an idea of what the graph is doing.
Let's start with this. Do you know what type of function it is? If it were something like y= -x²+8x+1 would that be easier to sketch (rather than picking a bunch of points)?

As far as the speed of the ball, are they looking for just the vertical speed?

Oh yes, can you post a picture of your attempt?

Specter said:

Homework Statement

The path of a baseball relative to the ground can be modeled by the function d(t)=-t2+8t+1 where d(t) represents the height of the ball in meters, and t represents time in seconds.

a. Sketch a grpah of the function between 0 and 9 seconds.
b. What is the speed of the ball when it hits the ground?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to do this. It's in the first unit of my calculus class. I tried creating a table of values and then plotting the points but that didn't work.
Why didn't it work? There's nothing wrong with this approach. The table should have pairs of values (t, d(t)). To plot a point, the t value is along the horizontal axis, that the d(t) value is along the vertical axis.
Specter said:
I also tried solving for d(0) through d(9)
You're not "solving" for d(0) etc. -- you're evaluating the distance function at 0, 1, and so on.
Specter said:
and then plotting the points but that gave me different answers then what others were getting. Any help on where I should start would be great, thanks.
Please show us what you got. One of the rules here is that you have to show us what you've tried, not just describe what you're done in general terms.

scottdave said:
Plugging in points and connecting the dots is one way to get an idea of what the graph is doing.
Let's start with this. Do you know what type of function it is? If it were something like y= -x²+8x+1 would that be easier to sketch (rather than picking a bunch of points)?

As far as the speed of the ball, are they looking for just the vertical speed?

Oh yes, can you post a picture of your attempt?

Mark44 said:
Why didn't it work? There's nothing wrong with this approach. The table should have pairs of values (t, d(t)). To plot a point, the t value is along the horizontal axis, that the d(t) value is along the vertical axis.
You're not "solving" for d(0) etc. -- you're evaluating the distance function at 0, 1, and so on.

Please show us what you got. One of the rules here is that you have to show us what you've tried, not just describe what you're done in general terms.

I figured out the graphing part. I forgot to add the square on a few of them so it messed everything up. For part b, I don't know what speed they are asking for. All the question asked for was the speed of the ball when it hits the ground. Can I use v=d/t to solve that? I don't know the horizontal distance so I don't think that I can use v=d/t.

If a picture of my graph is still needed, I can upload it here.

Specter said:
For part b, I don't know what speed they are asking for. All the question asked for was the speed of the ball when it hits the ground. Can I use v=d/t to solve that?

No, they're looking for the instantaneous speed. You said you're in a calculus class. Possibly they have talked about velocity at this point, which would be d'(t), the derivative of the distance/displacement function.

Mark44 said:
No, they're looking for the instantaneous speed. You said you're in a calculus class. Possibly they have talked about velocity at this point, which would be d'(t), the derivative of the distance/displacement function.
Would I be able to use the limit formula to solve this question? I guess I would first need to determine when exactly the ball hits the ground because I need d(a) and d(a+h).

Specter said:
Would I be able to use the limit formula to solve this question?
Yes. That might be the only formula you have, as this is the first unit.
Specter said:
I guess I would first need to determine when exactly the ball hits the ground because I need d(a) and d(a+h).
I'm not sure what you mean here. The ball hits the ground when d(t) = 0. Solve that equation for the value of t that gives a distance of 0.

Related to Sketching a graph from a function

1. How do I determine the x and y intercepts of a graph from a function?

To find the x-intercept, set y equal to 0 and solve for x. To find the y-intercept, set x equal to 0 and solve for y. These points will be where the graph crosses the x and y axes, respectively.

2. What is the process for sketching a graph from a function?

First, plot the x and y intercepts. Then, find any additional points by choosing values for x and solving for y. Finally, connect the points with a smooth curve to create the graph.

3. How do I determine the domain and range of a graph from a function?

The domain is the set of all possible input values (x values) for a function, and the range is the set of all possible output values (y values). To determine the domain, look for any restrictions on the x values in the function. To determine the range, evaluate the function for different x values and see what y values are produced.

4. Can I use a calculator to graph a function?

Yes, most scientific and graphing calculators have the capability to graph functions. You can either enter the function directly or use a table of values to plot points on the graph.

5. Are there any special rules for graphing specific types of functions?

Yes, certain functions may have special rules for graphing. For example, quadratic functions will always have a parabolic shape, and exponential functions will always have an asymptotic shape. It is important to understand the characteristics of different types of functions in order to accurately graph them.