Sketching Energy Diagram w/ l=2, s=1/2 - m, j & mj values

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of sketching an energy diagram for a system with l = 2 and s = 1/2, including before and after the spin-orbit splitting and after an additional application of an external magnetic field. The equations used include m values from -l to l, j values from l-s to l+s, and mj values from -j to j. There is also a discussion about the Zeeman effect and spin-orbit coupling, with the conclusion that the spin-orbit splitting has a greater effect than the external magnetic field. It is suggested to only draw as many energy levels as needed and to research articles about the Zeeman effect and spin-orbit coupling for further understanding.
asdf12312

Homework Statement

Sketch the energy diagram for a system with l = 2 and s = 1/2: before spin-orbit splitting, after spin-orbit splitting, after additional application of external magnetic B (label all m values).

Homework Equations

m values from -l to l (total 2l+1 values)
j values from l-s to l+s
mj values from -j to j (total 2j+1 values)

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram but I'm not sure if it's right. and before the spin-orbit splitting I was confused, so I just drew the m values for l (not sure though).

En_Diagram.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Check:
If the electron magnetic moment did not interact with the nuclear magnetic moment, would there be any difference between the energy level of different orientations of the spin?

An additional magnetic field produces the Zeeman effect.
That is something you can look up.

Which has the bigger effect: the spin-orbit coupling or the external magnetic field?

I don't think there would be any change in the energy level without B field. so I don't think I need to include the m values for l=2 without spin.. I have an example of the Zeeman effect but i don't really understand it. it shows arrows going down from the lines, do I need to draw a l=1 diagram if the energies go from D (l=2) to P state? I think the external B field would have a greater effect because it has more energy levels, the spin-orbit only has like 5 levels.

Last edited:
Technically the Zeeman effect is the fine splitting, in the presence of a magnetic field, of the spectral lines you get when there is no magnetic field. The arrows in your notes show the transitions that give rise to the spectra.

You only need the energy-level diagram.
You should only draw as many energy levels as you have been asked to examine.

You can find articles about zeeman effect and spin-orbit coupling online.
I gave you the names as a way of hinting you should look them up ;)

I made another drawing, don't have the arrows because I don't think I need it, would it be something like this? there are 5 levels now before the B field. I tried looking up zeeman effect but i was confused because it looked different from my problem.

En_Diagram2.png

Last edited:
You have decided that the spin-orbit splitting is bigger than the effect of the magnet?
You have decided that "a system with l=2" means to include l=0 and l=1 as well?
If so then you have got what you wanted.

These are decisions for you to make though, because it is your course.

Related to Sketching Energy Diagram w/ l=2, s=1/2 - m, j & mj values

1. What is a sketching energy diagram with l=2, s=1/2 - m, j & mj values?

A sketching energy diagram with l=2, s=1/2 - m, j & mj values is a visual representation of the energy levels and sublevels of an atom with a specified angular momentum quantum number (l) and spin quantum number (s). The diagram also includes the magnetic quantum number (m) and the total angular momentum quantum number (j) for each energy level.

2. How is a sketching energy diagram with l=2, s=1/2 - m, j & mj values created?

To create a sketching energy diagram with l=2, s=1/2 - m, j & mj values, you first need to determine the possible values for m, j, and mj based on the given l and s values. Then, you can plot these values on a graph, with energy levels on the y-axis and m values on the x-axis. The j and mj values are represented by different colors or symbols on the graph.

3. What do the different elements of a sketching energy diagram represent?

The energy levels on a sketching energy diagram represent the different possible states of an atom with the given l and s values. The m values represent the different orientations of the atom's magnetic field, while the j and mj values represent the total angular momentum and its projection on the z-axis, respectively.

4. Why is it important to include the m, j, and mj values in a sketching energy diagram?

The m, j, and mj values provide important information about the energy levels and sublevels of an atom. They help to explain the splitting of energy levels in the presence of a magnetic field and provide a more complete understanding of the atom's behavior.

5. How can a sketching energy diagram with l=2, s=1/2 - m, j & mj values be used in scientific research?

A sketching energy diagram with l=2, s=1/2 - m, j & mj values can be used in various research fields, such as quantum mechanics and spectroscopy, to study the energy states and transitions of atoms. It can also be used to predict the behavior of atoms in different environments and to analyze experimental data.