Sketching graphs in polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation is discussing the graph of the equation r = 2 + 4cos(\theta) in polar coordinates. The person has plotted points but is unsure of where the inner loop is coming from. The expert explains that a radius of -2 at the angle of $\pi$ would be at the Cartesian point (2,0) because the polar point (r, \pi) translates to (-r, 0) in rectangular coordinates. This helps explain the logic behind the correct graph.
shamieh
I don't understand why I am screwing this up so bad.

Sketch the graph of the equation \(\displaystyle r = 2 + 4cos(\theta)\) in polar coordinates.

So I did:

\(\displaystyle 0 = 2 + 4cos(\theta) \)
\(\displaystyle = -\frac{1}{2} = cos(\theta)\)

Then got \(\displaystyle cos(\theta)\) is \(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{2}\) @ \(\displaystyle \frac{2\pi}{3}\) and @\(\displaystyle \frac{4\pi}{3} \)

Then i plotted points to get

0 ,6
pi/2 , 2
pi, -2
3pi/2 , 2
2pi, 6

And I'm not understanding where they are getting the 2 for the like inner loop part of the centroid... My graph is on the left... The one on the right is what its supposed to look like.

View attachment 2134

I'm getting everything the same except I'm not getting the inner loop

Attachments

• plotting.png
    plotting.png
    12 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A radius of -2 at the angle of $\pi$ would be at the Cartesian point (2,0)...do you see why?

MarkFL said:
A radius of -2 at the angle of $\pi$ would be at the Cartesian point (2,0)...do you see why?
No I don't actually. Why is that? I mean I know that it should be (2,0) I just don't understand the logic behind it or why, but I know it obviously is because I'm getting the wrong graph lol.

Last edited:
The polar point $(r,\pi)$ will lie along the $x$-axis. If $r$ is positive, then the point is on the negative $x$-axis and if $r$ is negative, the point will be on the positive $x$-axis. Think of the rectangular translation for this point:

\(\displaystyle x=r\cos(\pi)=-r\)

\(\displaystyle y=r\sin(\pi)=0\)

Hence, the polar point:

\(\displaystyle (r,\pi)\)

is the rectangular point:

\(\displaystyle (-r,0)\)

Related to Sketching graphs in polar coordinates

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional space using a distance and angle from a fixed reference point. The distance is known as the radius, and the angle is measured in degrees or radians.

2. How do you graph in polar coordinates?

To graph in polar coordinates, you first need to plot points using the given radius and angle values. Then, you can connect these points to create a curve or shape. It is important to label the axes and include a key or legend to identify the specific curve being graphed.

3. What is the difference between polar and Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates use a distance and angle to represent a point, while Cartesian coordinates use x and y coordinates. In polar coordinates, the reference point is the pole, and the reference line is the polar axis, whereas in Cartesian coordinates, the reference point is the origin and the reference lines are the x and y axes.

4. How do you convert between polar and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from polar to Cartesian coordinates, you can use the formulas x = rcosθ and y = rsinθ, where r is the radius and θ is the angle. To convert from Cartesian to polar coordinates, you can use the formulas r = √(x² + y²) and tanθ = y/x.

5. What types of equations can be graphed in polar coordinates?

Equations that involve r and θ can be graphed in polar coordinates. These can include simple equations such as circles and lines, as well as more complex equations like cardioids, limaçons, and roses. Additionally, parametric equations can also be graphed in polar coordinates.