Sketching graphs with extreme values with the Given Information

In summary, the conversation was about a problem set that the speaker was having trouble with. They asked for help with a question about sketching a graph and understanding the behavior of the graph at certain points. The expert summarizer provided information about vertical asymptotes, limits, and critical points, and offered to look at a sketch of the graph to pinpoint any errors. The speaker then shared a photo of their graph and the expert summarizer gave some feedback and clarified that the graph should point upwards in both instances. They also mentioned that the derivative being undefined could imply different types of discontinuities on the graph.
ardentmed
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble with this problem set I'm working on at the moment. I'd appreciate some help with this question:

(I'm only asking about question one. Please ignore question two)
08b1167bae0c33982682_23.jpg

I'm having trouble sketching this graph out. If f' and f'' are not defined at 2, does that mean that they are infinite? Also, is the limit as x approaches infinite is infinite, does that mean that it is pointing in the upwards direction and that there is no horizontal asymptote? Moreover, if f'(5)=0, I'm assuming that that means there is some sort of critical point present, in which case it should be a maximum according to the increasing and decreasing values surrounding x=0.

Am I on the right track? Can someone give me an estimation of what the graph should look like? I can upload a sketch of mine (which is probably partially incorrect), but a clean computer sketch would do wonders for me to visualize the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see, if f' and f'' are not defined at 2, they could be any sort of discontinuity, such as a removable discontinuity, but more commonly a vertical asymptote if it is a rational function.
\(\displaystyle
\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}} f(x) = \infty \) implies that as x approaches infinity, your graph will go in the positive infinity direction. So yes, it will point upwards like a parabola, and it will not have a horizontal asymptote. It will only have one if it approaches a finite value as \(\displaystyle \lim_{{x}\to{\pm\infty}}\).

The problem tells us that as you approach 5 from the negative side , the slope is negative and as you approach 5 from the positive side, the slope is positive. If the slope goes from negative to positive, it must be a minimum. In terms of increasing and decreasing, a negative slope implies decreasing, and a positive slope implies increasing. Therefore, going from decreasing to increasing is characteristics of a minimum. With that said, if you provide a picture of your sketch, I could pinpoint the errors, if there are any.

View attachment 2905

Does that look right?

Thanks.
Rido12 said:
Let's see, if f' and f'' are not defined at 2, they could be any sort of discontinuity, such as a removable discontinuity, but more commonly a vertical asymptote if it is a rational function.
\(\displaystyle
\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}} f(x) = \infty \) implies that as x approaches infinity, your graph will go in the positive infinity direction. So yes, it will point upwards like a parabola, and it will not have a horizontal asymptote. It will only have one if it approaches a finite value as \(\displaystyle \lim_{{x}\to{\pm\infty}}\).

The problem tells us that as you approach 5 from the negative side , the slope is negative and as you approach 5 from the positive side, the slope is positive. If the slope goes from negative to positive, it must be a minimum. In terms of increasing and decreasing, a negative slope implies decreasing, and a positive slope implies increasing. Therefore, going from decreasing to increasing is characteristics of a minimum. With that said, if you provide a picture of your sketch, I could pinpoint the errors, if there are any.

Attachments

• snapshot.jpg
    snapshot.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 57
By inspection, your limits to infinity are wrong. Your graph should point upwards to infinity as x goes to infinity. The first derivative is greater than 0 when x < 2, or x > 5, meaning that your graph should be increasing in said intervals, which I do not see reflected in your graph. Posting a picture of your graph was very helpful, as I could see where your mistakes were.

Rido12 said:
By inspection, your limits to infinity are wrong. Your graph should point upwards to infinity as x goes to infinity. The first derivative is greater than 0 when x < 2, or x > 5, meaning that your graph should be increasing in said intervals, which I do not see reflected in your graph. Posting a picture of your graph was very helpful, as I could see where your mistakes were.

Bear in mind that the webcam took the photo in a way that mirrored the x axis. Is it still incorrect?

Thanks again.

Edit: Oh, so it should be pointed upwards in both instances? Isn't x -> -infinity when x<2?

No, just in the instance when x goes to positive infinity. I will recheck your graph again, I did not know that it was reflected.

- - - Updated - - -

It looks right now. (Yes)

You figured it out, but I also should have added that $f'$ and $f''$ being not defined could also imply some sort of kink, corner, cusp, etc on the graph. These situations are not defined because the derivative is different as you approach from the left and right sides:

$$\lim_{{h}\to{0^+}}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h} \ne \lim_{{h}\to{0^-}}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}$$

FAQ: Sketching graphs with extreme values with the Given Information

1. What is the importance of sketching graphs with extreme values?

Sketching graphs with extreme values allows us to visualize and better understand the behavior of a mathematical function. It also helps us identify any key features, such as maximum or minimum values, and make predictions about the function's behavior.

2. How do you determine the extreme values of a graph?

The extreme values of a graph can be found by using the first and second derivative tests. The first derivative test involves finding the critical points of the function, where the derivative is equal to zero. The second derivative test then determines whether these critical points are maximum or minimum values.

3. Can extreme values exist at points where the derivative is undefined?

Yes, extreme values can exist at points where the derivative is undefined, also known as points of discontinuity. This is because the derivative only measures the slope of the function, not its actual value at a specific point.

4. How can the given information be used to sketch a graph with extreme values?

The given information, such as the function, its domain and range, and any known maximum or minimum values, can be used to plot key points on the graph. These points can then be connected to create a rough sketch of the function, which can be refined by using the first and second derivative tests to determine the exact location of extreme values.

5. Is it possible to have multiple extreme values for a single function?

Yes, a single function can have multiple extreme values, including both maximum and minimum values. This can occur when the function has multiple critical points or when it has points of inflection, where the concavity of the graph changes.