Sketching Region of Integration of unspecified function?

In summary, the region of integration is between the lines y= 7x and y= 7, with the boundaries at x= 0 and x= 1. The lower and upper bounds for x are 6 and 7, respectively.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Double integral (The first one is lower bound 0 and upper bound 1, the second one is lower bound 7x and top one 7). of f(x,y)dydx and my teacher wants me to sketch the region of integration. Then reverse the area of integration.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was thinking about this and trying to figure out how to do this with an unspecified function.. Could I just show in random functions like (xy) or (x^2)(y^2) and look for some sort of pattern? Am I on the right track here as far as the methodology of solving the problem goes?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Double integral (The first one is lower bound 0 and upper bound 1, the second one is lower bound 7x and top one 7). of f(x,y)dydx and my teacher wants me to sketch the region of integration. Then reverse the area of integration.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was thinking about this and trying to figure out how to do this with an unspecified function.. Could I just show in random functions like (xy) or (x^2)(y^2) and look for some sort of pattern? Am I on the right track here as far as the methodology of solving the problem goes?

No, you're not on the right track. The function in the integrand doesn't matter.

Here's your integral, laid out in LaTeX:
$$\int_{x = 0}^1 \int_{y = 7x}^7 f(x, y) dy~dx $$

The inner integral is with x held fixed and y varying; the outer integral is with x varying.

And the way to do a problem like this is to sketch the region, as your teacher requested. Once you have the region sketched, set the integral up as a dxdy integral using the sketch. So what does your sketch look like and what did you get when you reversed the limits?

I am puzzled as to why you think the "unspecified function" is at all relevant when you are only asked to sketch the region and then reverse the limits. The only thing relevant are the limits of integration.
[tex]\int_{x=0}^1\int_{y= 7x}^7 f(x,y)dydx[/tex]
tells you that x lies between 0 and 1 and, for each x y lies between 7x and 7.

So- on an xy- coordinates system, draw the vertical lies x= 0 (left boundary) and x= 1 (right boundary). Draw the horizontal line y= 7 (top boundary) and the line y= 7x (bottom boundary). The region of integration is inside those lines.

As for reversing the order, What is the smallest value of y inside that region? What is the largest? For each y what are the lower and upper bounds for x?

Related to Sketching Region of Integration of unspecified function?

1. What is the purpose of sketching the region of integration?

Sketching the region of integration is essential for visualizing and understanding the bounds of integration in a given problem. It helps in setting up the correct limits of integration and determining the appropriate order of integration.

2. How do you determine the boundaries of the region of integration?

The boundaries of the region of integration can be determined by identifying the given constraints or equations that define the region. These constraints can then be used to find the limits for each variable in the integral.

3. What are the different methods for sketching the region of integration?

There are several methods for sketching the region of integration, including graphing, using inequalities, and using symmetry. Graphing involves plotting the equations that define the region on a graph, while inequalities can be used to determine the boundaries of the region. Symmetry can also be used to simplify the sketching process.

4. How does the shape of the region affect the integration process?

The shape of the region can greatly impact the integration process. For example, if the region is a simple shape like a square or rectangle, the integration process becomes easier as the boundaries can be easily determined. However, if the region is irregular or has curved boundaries, the integration process can become more complex and may require the use of advanced techniques.

5. Are there any tips for sketching the region of integration more efficiently?

One tip for sketching the region of integration more efficiently is to start by identifying any symmetries or patterns in the region. This can help in simplifying the sketching process and determining the boundaries more easily. Additionally, breaking the region into smaller, simpler shapes can also make the sketching process more manageable.

Back