Sketching resultants using vector addition.

In summary, the conversation discusses using vector addition to sketch the resultants of two given diagrams. The questioner expresses doubts about their solution and asks for confirmation, to which the responder explains the commutative property of vector addition and reassures the correctness of the solution. The questioner appreciates the explanation and expresses satisfaction in learning new techniques for confirming their solutions.
Physics345

Homework Statement

Given the following diagram, use vector addition to sketch the resultants:
a) u→−2v→
b) 3v→−u→
SoklV8E.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For this question I am fairly certain that it is correct but for some reason I'm doubting myself. I was wondering if I could get some reassurance and peace of mind by getting someone's confirmation that I am correct.

UZEGOhz.png

Note: The questions picture is a lot bigger than it is in the textbook. The diagram I created for a is about 2 times the size of vector v and the diagram i created for question b is about 3 times the size of vector v.

Attachments

• SoklV8E.png
    SoklV8E.png
    2 KB · Views: 1,255
  • UZEGOhz.png
    UZEGOhz.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,122
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics345 said:

Homework Statement

Given the following diagram, use vector addition to sketch the resultants:
a) u→−2v→
b) 3v→−u→
View attachment 222519

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For this question I am fairly certain that it is correct but for some reason I'm doubting myself. I was wondering if I could get some reassurance and peace of mind by getting someone's confirmation that I am correct.

View attachment 222520
Note: The questions picture is a lot bigger than it is in the textbook. The diagram I created for a is about 2 times the size of vector v and the diagram i created for question is about 3 times the size of vector v.
You are right. You are having confusion because you think you have added: (-2v)+u in place of {u+(-2v)}. Just for your satisfaction you can draw the diagram for {u+(-2v)} as well but the result will be the same in magnitude and direction as vector addition is commutative A+B = B+A. Similar thing is true for the other diagram.

Likes Physics345
Let'sthink said:
You are right. You are having confusion because you think you have added: (-2v)+u in place of {u+(-2v)}. Just for your satisfaction you can draw the diagram for {u+(-2v)} as well but the result will be the same in magnitude and direction as vector addition is commutative A+B = B+A. Similar thing is true for the other diagram.
Awesome, that is a great explanation. I love learning new techniques to confirm my solutions, it makes me more confident in my work when I can confirm whether or not it is indeed correct. Also you are spot on about the area of confusion nice job, you explained my confusion better than I.

Related to Sketching resultants using vector addition.

1. How do you sketch resultants using vector addition?

To sketch resultants using vector addition, you first need to draw the vectors involved in the problem, making sure to label their magnitudes and directions. Then, place the tail of the second vector at the head of the first vector, and draw a line connecting the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The resultant vector is the line connecting the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector.

2. What is the purpose of sketching resultants using vector addition?

The purpose of sketching resultants using vector addition is to visually represent the combination of multiple vectors into a single resultant vector. This allows for easier understanding and analysis of vector problems and their solutions.

3. How do you determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector?

The magnitude of the resultant vector can be determined using the Pythagorean theorem, where the sum of the squares of the individual vectors' magnitudes is equal to the square of the resultant vector's magnitude. The direction of the resultant vector can be found by using trigonometric functions, such as tangent, to calculate the angle between the resultant vector and a known reference line.

4. Can you sketch resultants using vector addition for more than two vectors?

Yes, resultants can be sketched using vector addition for any number of vectors. The process is the same as when combining two vectors, except you continue adding the tail of the next vector to the head of the previous resultant vector until all vectors have been included. The final resultant vector will be the line connecting the tail of the first vector to the head of the last vector.

5. Are there any limitations to sketching resultants using vector addition?

One limitation is that this method can only be used for vectors that are in the same plane. If the vectors are in different planes, a different method, such as using the parallelogram rule, must be used to find the resultant vector. Additionally, this method does not account for the effects of vector subtraction or multiplication, which may be necessary in some problems.