Sketching the Image of a Multivariable Function

In summary: I suggest you take a few points and map them to the range. Also, I suggest you use the equation ##r^2=x^2+y^2## and see if you can get an equation for what the range is.
Freye

Homework Statement

Let f:R^2 to R^2 be defined by f(r,theta) = (rcos(theta), rsin(theta))

Sketch the image under f of the set S = (1,2) X (0,pi) (The open brackets should be closed brackets but I am on a foreign keyboard and can't figure out how to get closed brackets).

Homework Equations

Unsure

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure how to sketch something going from R^n to R^m in general, so I have no attempt at a solution. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Freye said:

Homework Statement

Let f:R^2 to R^2 be defined by f(r,theta) = (rcos(theta), rsin(theta))

Sketch the image under f of the set S = (1,2) X (0,pi) (The open brackets should be closed brackets but I am on a foreign keyboard and can't figure out how to get closed brackets).

Homework Equations

Unsure

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure how to sketch something going from R^n to R^m in general, so I have no attempt at a solution. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

The equation S = (1,2) X (0,pi) defines a region S in R2. What you need to do is draw a 2D picture of the region in R2 that S is mapped to under the function f. Presumably you know whether S is described with (x,y) coordinates or ##(r,\theta)## coordinates.

Oic, so essentially I'm going to be drawing a circle with an inner radius of 1 and an outer radius of 2? If so, this question was much easier than I thought. Thanks a lot for your help.

Freye said:
Oic, so essentially I'm going to be drawing a circle with an inner radius of 1 and an outer radius of 2? If so, this question was much easier than I thought. Thanks a lot for your help.

If the coordinates for S are polar coordinates, what you are describing is the shape of S, which is the domain, except the upper variable is ##\pi##, not ##2\pi##. You wouldn't get the whole circles. If I understand the problem correctly, you need a picture of what it is mapped to.

Related to Sketching the Image of a Multivariable Function

1. What is a multivariable function?

A multivariable function is a type of mathematical function that takes in multiple independent variables and produces a single output. It is commonly denoted as f(x,y) or z = f(x,y) and can have any number of independent variables.

2. Why is it important to sketch the image of a multivariable function?

Sketching the image of a multivariable function allows us to visualize the relationship between the input variables and the output. It also helps us identify the critical points, local and global extrema, and the general behavior of the function.

3. How do you sketch the image of a multivariable function?

To sketch the image of a multivariable function, we first need to understand the domain and range of the function. Then, we can plot points by choosing specific values for the independent variables and calculating the corresponding output. We can also use level curves to represent the function in a two-dimensional plane.

4. What are some common techniques for sketching the image of a multivariable function?

Some common techniques for sketching the image of a multivariable function include using level curves, slicing the function with planes, and using computer software or calculators to generate 3D graphs. It is also helpful to analyze the partial derivatives and critical points of the function.

5. Can a multivariable function be sketched without using a graphing tool?

Yes, a multivariable function can be sketched without using a graphing tool by using level curves and analyzing the behavior of the function at specific points. However, using a graphing tool can make the process easier and more accurate.

Back