Sky Polarization: Understanding & Experiments

In summary, the conversation is about polarization and its relationship with navigation. The speaker is studying polarization and wants to confirm their understanding by finding the position of the sun using a polaroid. They explain their method of finding the position and ask for feedback on their approach. They also share their experience with trying to find the sun's position with a normal polaroid and ask for advice on how to design a better experiment. Another person mentions the sensitivity of sky polarization to aerosols and pollutants, and the potential use of this technique in navigation. The conversation ends with questions about how Vikings used tourmaline crystals for navigation and how to explain this topic and conduct relevant experiments.
jangheej
hi all

im studying polarization, and i want to check if i have the right idea about sky polarization.
basically i want to find the position of the sun when i know the angle theta (refer to the attachment) of the sun but doesn't know the exact position.
so i look at the portion of the sky that is at the right angle from the plane of the sun and rotate the polaroid and find the axis of the polaroid when it's the brightests.
so from this, i assume that the polarization direction by scattering is in the same direction as the axis of the polaroid and therefore determine the position of the sun as shown in the picture.

do i have the right idea?

and also, i actually tried to find the sun's position myself with a normal polaroid.
but when i looked throgh the polaroid and rotated it, there wasnt any difference in the brightness of the polaroid. what is wrong with my approach in this experiment??
is the linear polarization by scattering usually not strong enough to detect by a normal polaroid? if so, how can i design the experiment?

Attachments

• qq.jpg
    qq.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 437
Science news on Phys.org
I am wondering did you decided to the experiment? How will you explain polarization? And what is the relationship between polarization and navigation?

jangheej said:
do i have the right idea?

Yep.

jangheej said:
but when i looked throgh the polaroid and rotated it, there wasnt any difference in the brightness of the polaroid. what is wrong with my approach in this experiment??
is the linear polarization by scattering usually not strong enough to detect by a normal polaroid? if so, how can i design the experiment?

The sky polarization is very sensitive to aerosols (water vapor, for example) and pollutants: without knowing more, I can't guess why you did not notice any change. On a clear day, it's a very pronounced effect:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/6/86864348_ed115c64fb.jpg

It should be possible, many insects use this technique for navigation.

Yes, it is possible but Vikings using tourmaline cyristals for decided to describe sun position. And due to sun positions they can find their directions. But how? And How can ı explain this topic? Which experiment should I do?

Related to Sky Polarization: Understanding & Experiments

1. What is sky polarization?

Sky polarization refers to the phenomenon where light from the sky is scattered in a specific pattern, resulting in a polarization angle. This occurs due to the interaction between sunlight and molecules in the Earth's atmosphere.

2. Why is it important to study sky polarization?

Studying sky polarization can help us better understand the Earth's atmosphere and its interactions with sunlight. This can have implications for weather forecasting, climate change research, and even animal navigation.

3. How is sky polarization measured and observed?

Sky polarization can be measured and observed using a polarimeter, which is a device that measures the angle of polarization of light. This can also be done using specialized cameras or even with the naked eye.

4. What experiments can be done to study sky polarization?

There are several experiments that can be conducted to study sky polarization, such as measuring the polarization of light at different times of day or in different weather conditions. Another experiment could involve studying the polarization patterns during a solar eclipse.

5. How does sky polarization affect human vision?

Sky polarization does not have a significant impact on human vision, as our eyes are not sensitive to polarization. However, some animals, such as bees and birds, use sky polarization as a means of navigation and orientation.