Skyflow3r's question at Yahoo Answers regarding retirement fund

• MHB
  • Thread starter MarkFL
  • Start date
In summary: So, in summary, to accumulate a nest egg for retirement, you need to save $\frac{rE_{12(R-A)}}{12\left(\left(1+\frac{r}{12} \right)^{12(R-A)}-1 \right)} each month, with variables for age, retirement age, nest egg size, and interest rate.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Calculus Question > compounding interest?

How much is needed to save each month at 3,6,9, and 12% compounded monthly for you to accumulate a nest egg for retirement.

Variables are age, age of retirement, nest egg size and interest rate.

Thanks for any help

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello skyflow3r,

First, let's define the variables:

$A$ = present age.

$R$ = retirement age.

$E_n$ = size of nest egg, or account balance after $n$ months.

$r$ = annual interest rate.

$S$ = the amount saved and deposited monthly.

We may model the given scenario with the following difference equation:

\(\displaystyle E_{n+1}-\left(1+\frac{r}{12} \right)E_{n}=S\) where \(\displaystyle E_1=S\)

We see that the homogeneous solution is:

\(\displaystyle h_n=c_1\left(1+\frac{r}{12} \right)^n\)

And we seek a particular solution of the form:

\(\displaystyle p_n=k\)

Substituting the particular solution into the difference equation, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle k-\left(1+\frac{r}{12} \right)k=S\)

\(\displaystyle k=-\frac{12S}{r}\)

Thus, by superposition, we find:

\(\displaystyle E_n=h_n+p_n=c_1(1+r)^n-\frac{12S}{r}\)

Using the initial value, we may determine the parameter:

\(\displaystyle E_1=c_1\left(1+\frac{r}{12} \right)^1-\frac{12S}{r}=c_1\left(1+\frac{r}{12} \right)-\frac{12S}{r}=S\,\therefore\,c_1=\frac{12S}{r}\)

And so, we find the solution satisfying all of the given conditions is:

\(\displaystyle E_n=\frac{12S}{r}\left(1+\frac{r}{12} \right)^n-\frac{12S}{r}=\frac{12S}{r}\left(\left(1+\frac{r}{12} \right)^n-1 \right)\)

Now, solving for $S$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle S=\frac{rE_n}{12\left(\left(1+\frac{r}{12} \right)^n-1 \right)}\)

where \(\displaystyle n=12(R-A)\).

Related to Skyflow3r's question at Yahoo Answers regarding retirement fund

1. What is a retirement fund?

A retirement fund is a financial plan or account that is set up to provide income during retirement. It is typically funded by contributions from an individual and/or their employer and is meant to supplement any other sources of income during retirement, such as social security.

2. How much should I contribute to my retirement fund?

The amount you contribute to your retirement fund will depend on a variety of factors, including your current age, desired retirement age, and lifestyle goals. Generally, experts recommend contributing at least 10-15% of your income towards retirement, but the more you can contribute, the better.

3. When should I start saving for retirement?

The earlier you start saving for retirement, the better. The power of compound interest means that the earlier you start, the more your money will grow over time. Ideally, individuals should start saving for retirement as soon as they begin their first job.

4. What are the different types of retirement funds?

There are several types of retirement funds, including 401(k)s, IRAs, Roth IRAs, and pension plans. Each type has its own rules and regulations, so it's important to understand the specifics of each before choosing which one is right for you.

5. Can I withdraw money from my retirement fund before I retire?

In most cases, it is not recommended to withdraw money from your retirement fund before you retire. Many retirement plans have penalties for early withdrawals, and it can significantly impact the growth of your savings. However, in certain circumstances, such as a financial emergency, you may be able to withdraw funds without penalty.