Slack string on linear slides when using a different slide lengths

• Thread starter Quietrabbit
  • Start date
Quietrabbit
TL;DR Summary
String slack possibly because of different length linear slides?
We have multiple 400mm length linear slides as used in the FIRST tech challenge robotics. However, our very last and innermost set of slides are 300mm length mounted such that they are not closer to the end of the extension (the black slides in the picture). We are having a lot of trouble keeping the string tensioned regardless of if we use springs (not currently in the photo). We were wondering if the two different extension length slides we used would contribute to this but we’re not sure why that would be. I would love to elaborate on this further but I’m not sure what details would be important.
IMG_5501.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Quietrabbit said:
We have multiple 400mm length linear slides as used in the FIRST tech challenge robotics.
Please provide a web link to the "FIRST tech challenge robotics", so we can see how the slides are arranged.

Quietrabbit said:
... We were wondering if the two different extension length slides we used would contribute to this but we’re not sure why that would be. I would love to elaborate on this further but I’m not sure what details would be important.
We neither.
Please, show us the whole picture in more detail.

Related to Slack string on linear slides when using a different slide lengths

What causes slack in strings when using linear slides of different lengths?

Slack in strings can be caused by several factors, including uneven tension distribution, variations in slide lengths, and mechanical tolerances in the slide mechanisms. When different slide lengths are used, the string may not maintain consistent tension across all slides, leading to slack.

How can I minimize slack in strings on linear slides with varying lengths?

To minimize slack, ensure that the string tension is uniformly distributed by using tensioners or pulleys. Additionally, calibrate the slides to account for their length differences and regularly check for wear and tear that could affect tension.

What materials are best for strings to reduce slack on linear slides?

Materials such as high-tensile strength synthetic fibers (e.g., Kevlar or Dyneema) are ideal for reducing slack, as they have minimal stretch and are highly durable. These materials maintain consistent tension over time, reducing the likelihood of slack.

Can software compensation help in managing slack in strings on linear slides?

Yes, software compensation can be very effective. By using sensors and feedback systems, software can adjust the tension dynamically to compensate for any slack that develops, ensuring consistent performance across different slide lengths.

What are the long-term effects of slack in strings on the performance of linear slides?

Long-term effects of slack can include reduced accuracy, increased wear on the slides and strings, and potential mechanical failures. Consistently managing and minimizing slack is crucial for maintaining the performance and longevity of linear slide systems.