Slopes of tangent lines of parametric curves.

In summary, the problem statement asks for when the slope of the tangent is vertical and horizontal. The given/known data is that horizontal is when dy/dx is 0, but what about vertical, is that dy/dx is 1? To find out, the author uses the function y=log(x-1) and calculates x>1 to find that the vertical tangent is at x=1.
rmiller70015
1. The problem statement,ll variables and given/known data
I have the first and second derivatives of a parametric function and the book is asking for when the slope of the tangent is vertical and horizontal. I get that horizontal is when dy/dx is 0. But what about vertical, is that dy/dx is 1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
rmiller70015 said:
1. The problem statement,ll variables and given/known data
I have the first and second derivatives of a parametric function and the book is asking for when the slope of the tangent is vertical and horizontal. I get that horizontal is when dy/dx is 0. But what about vertical, is that dy/dx is 1?

If the tangent line has slope 1, wouldn't it be at a 45 degree angle? Think about dx/dy at a vertical tangent line point.

When it's vertical, dy/dx is undefined. This is an abuse of notation, but it may help you to think of an undefined value as being [itex]1/0 = \pm \infty[/itex] So if you have

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/tex]

Then to find where the tangent is horizontal, you need to evaluate f(x)=0 and to find where it is vertical you calculate g(x)=0. But keep in mind that when solving either one, the x value you find cannot also be a zero of the other. So for example,

[tex]y=log(x-1)[/tex] x>1

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{x-1}=\frac{x}{x(x-1)}[/tex] I just added a factor of x into the numerator and denominator for illustrative purposes. It doesn't change the function over real values of x.

There is a vertical tangent to the function y at x=1, but at x=0 there is neither a vertical or horizontal even though x=0 gives us 0 in the numerator and in the denominator.

Thanks so very very much for this clears up a lot.

FAQ: Slopes of tangent lines of parametric curves.

1. What is a parametric curve?

A parametric curve is a set of equations that describe the position of a point in terms of one or more parameters. These parameters can represent time, distance, or any other variable.

2. How is the slope of a tangent line of a parametric curve calculated?

The slope of a tangent line on a parametric curve is calculated by finding the derivative of the parametric equations with respect to the parameter. This derivative represents the rate of change of the curve at a specific point.

3. Can the slope of a tangent line vary along a parametric curve?

Yes, the slope of a tangent line can vary along a parametric curve. This is because the curve can have different rates of change at different points, causing the slope of the tangent line to change.

4. What is the significance of the slope of a tangent line on a parametric curve?

The slope of a tangent line on a parametric curve represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at a specific point. It can also be used to determine the direction of the curve at that point.

5. How is the slope of a tangent line related to the curvature of a parametric curve?

The slope of a tangent line is not directly related to the curvature of a parametric curve. However, the curvature can be calculated using the slope of the tangent line and the second derivative of the parametric equations.