Sloshing vertical natural frequency

In summary, the conversation discussed the estimation of sloshing natural frequency in a rectangular tank partially filled with liquid and its impact on vehicle dynamics. The formula for horizontal sloshing was found, but there was no information on vertical sloshing. It was suggested that this may be because liquids cannot slosh vertically due to their incompressibility. However, vertical motion can still occur in the fluid during horizontal sloshing. The conversation also mentioned a mechanical model and a formula for horizontal excitation, but it is unclear how this would change in the presence of both horizontal and vertical excitation.
serbring
Hi,

I need to estimate the sloshing natural frequency, in the three axis of a rectuangular tank, not fully filled of liquid. I need this for understading how changes the vehicle dynamics in some trucks. I have found a linear formula for the horizontal direction, but I have found nothing about the vertical one. Any suggestion about this?

Thank you very much

Engineering news on Phys.org
You probably can't find a formula because a liquid can't "slosh vertically". The only way it could do that is to change its volume, but most liquids are almost incompressible (unless you are talking about a liquid containing gas bubbles, or something similar).

When it "sloshes horizontally", of depth of liquid increases at one end of the tank and decreases at the other, and the volume stays constant. There is vertical motion in the fluid as well as horizontal motion.

Hi AlephZero,

thanks for your answer, maybe does the vertical excitation influence the horizzontal sloshing? Do you know in which way? I have created a simple mechanical model in which I have found the equivalent mass, equivalent damper and spring coefficient, but this works only for horizantal excitation. Try to take a look to formula 5 on this link:

http://pedago.cegepoutaouais.qc.ca/media/0260309/0378334/SCGC-BON/Documents/ST099-Tait-Damatty.pdf

But how is it changes in precesence of horizontal and vertical excitation?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Sloshing vertical natural frequency

1. What is sloshing vertical natural frequency?

Sloshing vertical natural frequency refers to the frequency at which a liquid in a container will naturally oscillate or slosh when the container is moved or disturbed vertically.

2. How is sloshing vertical natural frequency calculated?

The sloshing vertical natural frequency can be calculated using the formula f = √(g/L), where f is the frequency, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and L is the length of the container.

3. What factors affect the sloshing vertical natural frequency?

The sloshing vertical natural frequency is affected by the shape and size of the container, the type of liquid, the amount of liquid in the container, and the acceleration or movement of the container.

4. Why is sloshing vertical natural frequency important in engineering?

Sloshing vertical natural frequency is important in engineering because it can cause instability and potentially damage to structures or equipment that contain liquids. Understanding and accounting for this frequency is crucial in designing safe and efficient structures.

5. How can sloshing vertical natural frequency be controlled?

Sloshing vertical natural frequency can be controlled by altering the shape or size of the container, using baffles or other internal structures to reduce liquid movement, or by changing the liquid properties, such as viscosity or surface tension.