Small Angle Question in relation to Astronomy

In summary, the small angle formula for tangent only works when theta is measured in radians, not in degrees. When converting 0.01 degrees to radians, the correct value is 0.00017, and using this value leads to the correct distance calculation.
astropi
First of all this is NOT for class! Secondly, this seems rather simple, so perhaps I am simply overlooking the obvious. Anyway, here goes:

If some binary star is about 400 ly away, and a telescope gives a separation of 36" (0.01 degrees) for the binary, then can we use the small angle formula? Well, it certainly seems like we should be able to. However, the small angle formula for tangent is is just [ tex ]tan\theta \sim \theta[ /tex ]. If we then calculate the physical separation between the two stars we get 4 ly, which is incorrect. If instead of taking the small angle formula we just take the tangent of 0.01 we get 0.00017 and that in turn leads to the "correct" distance. My question becomes why does the small angle formula fail here? What am I missing? Thanks!

edit: sorry, I can not get the latex to work for some reason!

Physics news on Phys.org
The small angle formula, i.e. theta ~= sin(theta) ~= tan(theta), only works when theta is measured in radians, not when theta is measured in degrees. If you convert 0.01 degrees into radians, theta(radians) = 0.01 * pi/180 = .00017. Then everything works.

phyzguy said:
The small angle formula, i.e. theta ~= sin(theta) ~= tan(theta), only works when theta is measured in radians, not when theta is measured in degrees. If you convert 0.01 degrees into radians, theta(radians) = 0.01 * pi/180 = .00017. Then everything works.

Yes, you're absolutely right. And, believe it or not, I realized that as soon as I posted (duh)!
Thanks for the reply though :)

FAQ: Small Angle Question in relation to Astronomy

1. What is a small angle in relation to astronomy?

A small angle in astronomy refers to the angular size of an object as measured from Earth. It is typically measured in degrees, arcminutes, and arcseconds. This is an important concept in astronomy as it allows us to accurately measure and compare the sizes and distances of celestial objects.

2. Why is the concept of small angle important in astronomy?

The concept of small angle is important in astronomy because it allows us to accurately measure the distances and sizes of celestial objects. This is essential for understanding the structure and dynamics of the universe.

3. How do astronomers measure small angles?

Astronomers use specialized instruments such as telescopes and interferometers to measure small angles. These instruments use techniques such as parallax and interferometry to accurately measure the angular size of celestial objects.

4. Can small angles change over time in astronomy?

Yes, small angles can change over time in astronomy. This is due to the relative positions and movements of celestial objects in the universe. For example, the distance between the Earth and the Moon changes constantly, resulting in slight variations in the angular size of the Moon as seen from Earth.

5. How is the concept of small angle used in astrophotography?

The concept of small angle is crucial in astrophotography as it allows photographers to accurately capture and represent the sizes and distances of celestial objects in their images. By using techniques such as long exposure and image stacking, astrophotographers can capture detailed images of objects that appear small to the naked eye.

Back