Small mass attached to a string sliding between two circles

In summary, the questions refer to a small mass M attached to a string sliding in circles on a frictionless horizontal table. As the force F decreases and becomes constant, the radius of the circle changes from Y to X, where X is twice the radius of Y. The questions ask about the work done by F, M's kinetic energy, any torque on M, and M's angular momentum and velocity at X compared to Y.
sharkmanic

Homework Statement

A small mass M attached to a string slides in a circle (Y) on a frictionless horizontal table, with the force F providing the necessary tension (see figure). The force is then decreased slowly and then maintained constant when M travels around in circle (X). The radius of circle (X) is twice the radius of circle (Y).

http://imgur.com/w970m

Possible answers (T,F,>,<,=)

As M moves from Y to X, the work done by F is ... 0.
M's kinetic energy at X is one quarter that at Y.
While going from Y to X, there is no torque on M
M's angular momentum at X is ... that at Y.
M's angular velocity at X is one quarter that at Y.

Homework Equations

I=mr^2
x=2y
etc..

The Attempt at a Solution

The main problem I run into, is that the HW system does not show you what you got right and what you got wrong. It's an all or nothing question. Anyway.

I've done some calculations and I think that the Wy = 4*Wx, and Iy = (1/4)Ix but I am not sure about the others, or if those are even correct. If someone could walk me through the reasoning behind these that would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
sharkmanic said:

Homework Statement

A small mass M attached to a string slides in a circle (Y) on a frictionless horizontal table, with the force F providing the necessary tension (see figure). The force is then decreased slowly and then maintained constant when M travels around in circle (X). The radius of circle (X) is twice the radius of circle (Y).

Possible answers (T,F,>,<,=)
Haven't seen a question yet!
(1) As M moves from Y to X, the work done by F is ... 0.
(2) M's kinetic energy at X is one quarter that at Y.
(3) While going from Y to X, there is no torque on M
(4) M's angular momentum at X is ... that at Y.
(5) M's angular velocity at X is one quarter that at Y.

The main problem I run into, is that the HW system does not show you what you got right and what you got wrong. It's an all or nothing question. Anyway.

I've done some calculations and I think that the Wy = 4*Wx, and Iy = (1/4)Ix but I am not sure about the others, or if those are even correct. If someone could walk me through the reasoning behind these that would be great!
I suspect you've been over-thinking it.
Tackling them one at a time:
(1) W=Fd - which distance is important for F?
(2) How do you calculate kinetic energy?
(3) What would a torque do to the motion? Has this happened?
(4) You know the formula for angular momentum!
(5) You know the relationship between angular velocity and angular momentum!

Related to Small mass attached to a string sliding between two circles

1. What is the purpose of the small mass attached to a string sliding between two circles?

The purpose of this setup is to demonstrate the concept of centripetal force, which is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path.

2. How does the mass affect the speed of the string between the two circles?

The mass of the object will affect the speed of the string in two ways: first, a heavier mass will require a greater centripetal force to maintain the circular motion, and second, a heavier mass will experience a greater amount of friction as it slides along the string, which will slow down the speed of the string.

3. What factors determine the centripetal force in this system?

The centripetal force is determined by the mass of the object, the speed of the object, and the radius of the circular path. It is also affected by the tension in the string and any external forces acting on the object.

4. How does the radius of the circular path affect the motion of the small mass?

The radius of the circular path plays a crucial role in determining the speed and centripetal force of the small mass. A smaller radius will require a higher speed and greater centripetal force to maintain the circular motion, while a larger radius will require a lower speed and less centripetal force.

5. What happens to the motion of the small mass if the tension in the string is increased?

If the tension in the string is increased, the speed of the small mass will also increase. This is because the tension provides the necessary centripetal force to keep the object moving in a circular path. However, if the tension becomes too high, it may cause the string to break or the object to move out of the circular path.

Back