Small mistake, complex calculus

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving integrals and contour integrals. The person is trying to solve the problem but is getting a different answer than expected. They receive help and realize that they made a mistake by moving an "i" from the denominator to the numerator. They thank the person for pointing out the mistake and acknowledge that sometimes they forget to do simple things correctly.
joris_pixie
Im trying to solve:
But i always come out:
[tex]\int^{2PI}_{0}[/tex] (sin²(x) / (5 - 4cos(x))dx

==> (i/4)[tex]\oint(z^2-1)^2 / (z^2(z-2)(z-1/2)) dz[/tex]= 2pi i (i/4) (RES (z=0) + RES (z = 1/2)) = (-pi/2) (5/2 - 3/2) = -pi/2

instead of pi/4 please help

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't really tell what you are doing wrong from what you've posted, but I get a factor of (-i/8) in front of your contour integral.

Dick said:
I can't really tell what you are doing wrong from what you've posted, but I get a factor of (-i/8) in front of your contour integral.

That would do the trick, but could you please write how you get to -i/8 in front of it ?

How did you get your i/4?

my mistake

my mistake should be here:

http://www.pixie.be/wrong.jpg

But I can't see it ...
Could some one please help ? :(

Last edited by a moderator:
In going from the second contour to the third you seem to have just moved an i from the denominator to the numerator. You are now off by a sign. 5z-2z^2-2=(-2)(z-2)(z-1/2). There's another sign and a factor of two you made disappear.

Dick said:
In going from the second contour to the third you seem to have just moved an i from the denominator to the numerator.
ow yes, that was a typing error !

Dick said:
You are now off by a sign. 5z-2z^2-2=(-2)(z-2)(z-1/2).
Aha, got it;
After studying a lot of math, it's mostly the problem that i forget to do the 'simple' things correct ;) haha
Stupid mistake, but thank you so much !

FAQ: Small mistake, complex calculus

1. What is a small mistake in complex calculus?

A small mistake in complex calculus refers to a mathematical error made while performing calculations involving complex numbers. It can occur at any stage of the problem-solving process and can lead to incorrect results.

2. How can a small mistake affect complex calculus?

A small mistake can greatly affect the accuracy of complex calculus calculations. It can lead to incorrect solutions, which can have significant consequences in fields such as engineering and physics where precise calculations are crucial.

3. What are some common types of small mistakes in complex calculus?

Some common types of small mistakes in complex calculus include mix-ups in signs, omitted terms, incorrect application of formulas, and simple arithmetic errors. These mistakes may seem minor, but they can have a significant impact on the final result.

4. How can one avoid making small mistakes in complex calculus?

To avoid making small mistakes in complex calculus, it is important to double-check all calculations and equations, use a systematic approach, and be mindful of common errors. It can also be helpful to work through problems step-by-step and seek feedback from peers or instructors.

5. What steps should be taken if a small mistake is made in complex calculus?

If a small mistake is made in complex calculus, it is important to carefully review the calculations and identify the error. If the mistake is found, the calculations should be corrected and checked again. If the mistake cannot be identified, it may be necessary to seek assistance from a colleague or instructor.

Back