Small oscillations of constrained particle

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle of mass m constrained to move on the surface of a paraboloid and its frequency of small oscillations about a circular orbit with radius \rho=\sqrt{4az_0}. The solution involves using the equation \ddot{x}+\omega x=0 and finding the correct force F=-\frac{mMG}{R^2}*\frac{2}{a+z_0} to get the correct answer.
Math Jeans

Homework Statement

Consider a particle of mass m constrained to move on the surface of a paraboloid whose equation (in cylindrical coordinates) is [tex]r^2=4az[/tex]. If the particle is subject to a gravitational force, show that the frequency of small oscillations about a cirrcular orbit with radius [tex]\rho=\sqrt{4az_0}[/tex] is

[tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{2g}{a+z_0}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm aware that the [tex]\omega[/tex] must come from the equation:

[tex]\ddot{x}+\omega x=0[/tex]

This DiffEq comes from [tex]F=m\ddot{x}[/tex], so we need [tex]F=-\frac{2gm}{a+z_0}[/tex].

The only definition of g goes to [tex]\frac{MG}{R^2}[/tex], so we must be looking for a force [tex]F=-\frac{mMG}{R^2}*\frac{2}{a+z_0}[/tex]

My attempt is based on looking at the radial component of a gravitational force pulling out of the plane along [tex]\hat{s}[/tex], however, every time, I get:

[tex]\vec{F}=-\frac{mMG}{S^2}\hat{s}[/tex], where the radial component would be [tex]\vec{F}\bullet\hat{r}[/tex]

In a nutshell...my answer keeps turning up wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
The particle is rotating about z axis and in equilibrium at z = z0. First consider equilibrium of particle in the circular orbit and then think of its oscillation on the surface.

mukundpa said:
The particle is rotating about z axis and in equilibrium at z = z0. First consider equilibrium of particle in the circular orbit and then think of its oscillation on the surface.

That's exactly what I'm doing, but I can't get the correct answer.

I'm going to make a late bump on this thread because I still haven't solved this problem.

Related to Small oscillations of constrained particle

1. What are small oscillations of constrained particles?

Small oscillations of constrained particles refer to the motion of particles that are constrained by some physical or mathematical restrictions. These restrictions can include forces, boundary conditions, or equations of motion.

2. How are small oscillations of constrained particles different from regular oscillations?

The main difference is that in small oscillations of constrained particles, the motion is restricted by some external factors, whereas regular oscillations occur in an unconstrained environment. This can lead to different behaviors and patterns of motion.

3. What are some examples of constrained particles?

Some examples include a pendulum swinging in a fixed arc, a mass attached to a spring, or a particle moving along a curved surface with friction. These systems have restrictions that affect the motion of the particles.

4. How do small oscillations of constrained particles affect the energy of the system?

In general, small oscillations of constrained particles do not significantly affect the total energy of the system. However, some energy may be lost due to friction or other external factors.

5. What is the importance of studying small oscillations of constrained particles?

Studying small oscillations of constrained particles allows us to understand the behavior of complex systems and predict their motion. It also has practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and biology.

Back