Smartphone and the type of wave?

In summary, the person speaking into the smartphone is transmitting sound waves, which are longitudinal waves, into the phone. The smartphone is receiving these waves, along with radio waves, which are transverse waves. Therefore, the phone is receiving both longitudinal and transverse waves.
Betadine

Homework Statement

A person speaks into a smartphone.

What type of wave does the smartphone receive?

2. The attempt at a solution

I thought the answer is longitudinal wave. Is that right?

Or does the smartphone receive radio waves?

Physics news on Phys.org
Betadine said:
I thought the answer is longitudinal wave. Is that right?
A longitudinal wave of what?

Or does the smartphone receive radio waves?
Do you "speak" with radio waves?

Note that those two things belong to completely different concepts.

mfb said:
A longitudinal wave of what?

Do you "speak" with radio waves?

Note that those two things belong to completely different concepts.

Dear Sir, thank you for the reply and clarification.

The actual question is as follows:
David switched on his television set and radio. As he was resting, he received a phone on his smartphone. He picked it up and began talking over the phone.
In the above situation, how many of the devices are receiving signals in longitudinal wave?

Could you please kindly help me with the question?

Sure. What did you find out so far?

mfb said:
Sure. What did you find out so far?

I found out that sound waves are longitudinal waves; radio waves are transverse waves.

My thinking is that as the boy speaks into the phone, sound waves are transmitted into the phone.

So my guess is that the phone is receiving longitudinal waves?

Betadine said:
I found out that sound waves are longitudinal waves; radio waves are transverse waves.
Good.

My thinking is that as the boy speaks into the phone, sound waves are transmitted into the phone.

So my guess is that the phone is receiving longitudinal waves?
Sure

mfb said:
Good.

Sure

Thank you!

Related to Smartphone and the type of wave?

1. What is a smartphone and how does it work?

A smartphone is a handheld electronic device that combines the functions of a computer and a mobile phone. It works by using a combination of hardware components, such as a processor, memory, and storage, and software, such as operating systems and applications, to perform various tasks and connect to wireless networks for communication.

2. What are the different types of waves used in smartphones?

The two main types of waves used in smartphones are radio waves and electromagnetic waves. Radio waves are used for wireless communication, such as calls and data transfer, while electromagnetic waves are used for features like Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and GPS.

3. How do waves affect smartphone usage?

Waves play a crucial role in smartphone usage as they are used for wireless communication and connectivity. They allow smartphones to connect to cellular networks, Wi-Fi, and other devices for calls, data transfer, and internet access. They also enable features like GPS and Bluetooth, making smartphones more versatile and convenient to use.

4. Are there any potential health risks associated with exposure to smartphone waves?

Studies have been conducted on the effects of smartphone waves on human health, and while some have shown potential risks, the results are inconclusive. The World Health Organization (WHO) has classified smartphone waves as possibly carcinogenic, but more research is needed to fully understand any potential health effects.

5. How can one reduce exposure to smartphone waves?

To reduce exposure to smartphone waves, there are a few steps one can take. These include using hands-free devices, such as headphones or speakerphone, to minimize direct contact with the device. Additionally, keeping the device away from the body, such as in a bag or on a desk, can also help reduce exposure. Limiting screen time and using airplane mode when not using the device can also lower exposure to waves.

Back