Smilga paper, in which he derives an estimate to the fine structure constant

In summary, W. Smilga's paper "Spin foams, causal links, and geometry-induced interactions" discusses his derivation of an estimate for the fine structure constant using spin foams and geometry-induced interactions. This estimate is 1/137.03608245, which is in agreement with the real value "in five parts in ten-million". There is some debate in the physics community about the validity of this calculation, with some considering it just numerology. Smilga also claims that his calculation is a rederivation of Wyler's formula, which compares the volumes of symmetric spaces to the fine structure constant.
Tron3k
I've been trying to figure out this paper by W. Smilga: Spin foams, causal links, and geometry-induced interactions

I don't have the knowledge and background to be able to determine whether his derivation of an estimate to the fine structure constant is interesting, or just a trick.

I am referring to XIV: Estimate of the Coupling Constant. Through some mathematics I don't understand yet, he gets a value for the fine structure constant of 1/137.03608245, which agrees to the real value "in five parts in ten-million".

What is the consensus of the physics community on this? Is it just numerology?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tron3k said:
I've been trying to figure out this paper by W. Smilga: Spin foams, causal links, and geometry-induced interactions

I don't have the knowledge and background to be able to determine whether his derivation of an estimate to the fine structure constant is interesting
no way. no f-ing way. When Eddington went crazy he started trying to do that too.

What is amusing is that the calculation is presented as a vindication of Tony's models.

To save some time:

Smilga says that it rederivates Wyler formula, which is claimed to be a quotient of volumes
[tex]
8 \pi^2 {V(D_5)^{1/4} \over V(S_4) V(C_5)}
[/tex]
to be compared with [itex]\alpha / \pi[/itex]

The objects [itex]C_5,D_5,S_4[/itex] being some symmetric spaces. These volumes are claimed to evaluate, respectively, to [tex]{8 \pi^3 \over 3}, {\pi^5 \over 2^4 5!}, {8 \pi^2 \over 3}[/tex]

Last edited:

FAQ: Smilga paper, in which he derives an estimate to the fine structure constant

What is the fine structure constant?

The fine structure constant is a dimensionless constant that determines the strength of the electromagnetic interaction between elementary particles. It is denoted by the symbol α and has a value of approximately 1/137.

Who is Smilga and what is his paper about?

Alexander Smilga is a theoretical physicist who published a paper in 2004 titled "Deriving an estimate to the fine structure constant". His paper presents a new approach to deriving a value for the fine structure constant using quantum field theory.

How did Smilga arrive at his estimate for the fine structure constant?

Smilga's approach involves using the renormalization group equation to calculate the running of the fine structure constant with energy scale. He then extrapolates this running to the Planck scale to obtain an estimate for the value of α.

Why is the fine structure constant important in physics?

The fine structure constant plays a crucial role in understanding the fundamental forces of nature. It is a key parameter in quantum electrodynamics, which describes the behavior of charged particles and their interactions with electromagnetic fields. It also appears in many other areas of physics, such as cosmology and condensed matter physics.

What are the implications of Smilga's estimate for the fine structure constant?

Smilga's estimate for the fine structure constant is in good agreement with experimental measurements. This provides further support for the validity of quantum field theory and helps to constrain theories beyond the Standard Model of particle physics. It also has implications for understanding the fundamental nature of the universe and the constants that govern it.