{Sn} is convergent -> {|Sn|} is convergent

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergent
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that if {sn} is convergent, then {|sn|} is convergent by using the contrapositive method. The goal is to show that ||Sn|-|S|| <= |Sn-S|, which can be done by using the triangle inequality. Another problem is also discussed, which involves proving that if a subsequence of a Cauchy sequence converges, then the full sequence also converges. The hint for this problem is to use contradiction and the fact that the subsequence is also a Cauchy sequence.
Jamin2112
{Sn} is convergent ---> {|Sn|} is convergent

Homework Statement

I need to prove that if {sn} is convergent, then {|sn|} is convergent.

Homework Equations

sn is convergent if for some s and all ε > 0 there exists a positive integer N such that |sn - s| < ε whenever nN.

The Attempt at a Solution

Proof. By contrapositive. Suppose {|sn|} is not convergent. Then for all s there exists an ε > 0 such that ||sn| - s|| ≥ ε for all n.

... I need to somehow show that this implies that {sn} does not converge.

Maybe some fancy triangle inequality thing like

ε ≤ ||sn| - s| ≤ ||sn| - sn| + |sn - s|

Wat do, PF?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Ah, wait. I think I figured out something.

ε ≤ ||sn| - s| ≤ ||sn| - sn| + |sn - s| ≤ 2|sn| + |sn - s|

Am I any closer?

Last edited:

You are supposed to show that |Sn| converges to |S| not to S.
The trick is to show that ||Sn|-|S|| <= |Sn-S|

Hint to showing it:
|S| = |Sn + (S-Sn)|
And use the triangle inequality.

MaxManus said:
You are supposed to show that |Sn| converges to |S| not to S.
The trick is to show that ||Sn|-|S|| <= |Sn-S|

Hint to showing it:
|S| = |Sn + (S-Sn)|
And use the triangle inequality.

I knew the triangle inequality would show his face somewhere.

screen-capture-57.png

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/3/5/128807888821558038.jpg

Hey, I need a hint for another problem. (You guys give stellar hints. Pat yourselves on the back.)

Suppose {pn} is a Cauchy sequence in a metric space X, and some subsequence {pni} converges to a point p in X. Prove that the full sequence {pn} converges to p.

As always, I'd love to use contradiction.

Suppose {pn} does not converge to p. Then for some ε > 0, d(p,pn) ≥ ε for all n. Then d(pm,pn)+d(pm,p) ≥ ε for all m, n. But {pm} is a Cauchy sequence, so with the proper choice of m, n we'll have d(pm,pn) < ε. ... blah blah I hope this is going somewhere. A little hint, maybe?

FAQ: {Sn} is convergent -> {|Sn|} is convergent

1. What does it mean for a sequence to be convergent?

Convergence refers to the behavior of a sequence as its terms approach a particular limit. A convergent sequence is one in which the terms eventually get closer and closer to a single fixed value as the sequence progresses.

2. How is the convergence of a sequence determined?

The convergence of a sequence is determined by examining the behavior of its terms as the sequence progresses. If the terms get closer and closer to a specific value, the sequence is said to be convergent. If the terms do not approach a specific limit, the sequence is said to be divergent.

3. What is the relationship between convergence of a sequence and the magnitude of its terms?

The convergence of a sequence is not directly related to the magnitude of its terms. A sequence with large terms may still be convergent, while a sequence with small terms may be divergent. However, the magnitude of the terms can impact the speed at which the sequence converges or diverges.

4. How does the convergence of a sequence relate to the convergence of its absolute value?

If a sequence is convergent, then its absolute value is also convergent. However, the reverse is not necessarily true. A sequence may have a convergent absolute value but still be divergent. This is because the absolute value only removes the sign of the terms, but the magnitude of the terms can still impact the convergence or divergence of the sequence.

5. What is the significance of "{Sn} is convergent -> {|Sn|} is convergent" in scientific research?

This statement is often used in mathematical proofs to show that the convergence of a sequence implies the convergence of its absolute value. In scientific research, this can be applied to various phenomena and can help in making predictions and drawing conclusions based on the behavior of convergent sequences.