Snell's Law Application Homework Problem

In summary: However, if the crystal is in air, and there is no coating on the top surface, then there will be a reflection from that surface. The reflected ray will be refracted back to the direction from which the incident ray came. The refracted ray will be passing from a higher index of refraction to a lower index of refraction, so it will be bent away from the normal to the surface at the top of the crystal. In summary, A light ray of 400nm incident perpendicular to the bottom face of the crystal will be partially reflected and partially refracted. The refracted ray will be determined by Snell's Law and will depend on the index of refraction of the crystal and the surrounding air. There may
PropulsionMan

Homework Statement

snellslaw_zps1120239d.png

I apologize for not utilizing built-in Latex, I'll have to work with that a little more.Question statement: Explain the paths, both transmitted and reflected, that a light ray of 400nm would take if it was incident perpendicular to the bottom face ofo the crystal. If the light was in the shape below (just an arrow shown in the positive Y-direction of an X-Y coordinate plane), what would the relative orientation be when it leaves the crystal.

Homework Equations

(sin(θ1))*(n1) = (sin(θ2))*(n2) = λ1sin(θ2) = λ2sin(θ1)

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest, I'm trying to figure out where to start with this one. I've used the provided equation and calculated n to be 1.682725, however I don't know if that corresponds to the incident or refracted side of the light, and if the light is coming in through the bottom face at the center, I'm not sure if I should consider the transmission through the assumed air medium before it hits the crystal. I could very well be overthinking it, but I'd love some direction.

Additionally, I understand that Snell's Law has the ability to predict how these light rays will trace through mediums based on wanting to take the path that's quickest through the medium. I don't know if I have to consider light that's lost at the top surface though--will some light exit the crystal?

Physics news on Phys.org
PropulsionMan said:

Homework Statement

[ URL=http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/P_Brooks_Sargent/media/snellslaw_zps1120239d.png.html][ IMG]http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u536/P_Brooks_Sargent/snellslaw_zps1120239d.png[/URL]

I apologize for not utilizing built-in Latex, I'll have to work with that a little more.

Question statement: Explain the paths, both transmitted and reflected, that a light ray of 400nm would take if it was incident perpendicular to the bottom face ofo the crystal. If the light was in the shape below (just an arrow shown in the positive Y-direction of an X-Y coordinate plane), what would the relative orientation be when it leaves the crystal.

Homework Equations

(sin(θ1))*(n1) = (sin(θ2))*(n2) = λ1sin(θ2) = λ2sin(θ1)
You should not have that middle equal sign.

(sin(θ1))*(n1) = (sin(θ2))*(n2)

λ1sin(θ2) = λ2sin(θ1)

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest, I'm trying to figure out where to start with this one.
Start with the incident ray approaching the crystal from below.

A fraction of the intensity will be reflected at the surface. This is a reflected ray.

A fraction will pass into the crystal, its direction determined by Snell's Law. This is a refracted ray.
I've used the provided equation and calculated n to be 1.682725, however I don't know if that corresponds to the incident or refracted side of the light, and if the light is coming in through the bottom face at the center, I'm not sure if I should consider the transmission through the assumed air medium before it hits the crystal. I could very well be overthinking it, but I'd love some direction.
Whenever the ray strikes a surface, it will be partially reflected and partially refracted -- unless Snell's Law says the refracted beam is impossible -- this may well be a part of this exercise.

I would assume that the crystal is surrounded by air, the index of refraction of which is very close to 1.

In applying Snell's Law: Any ray approaching a surface is the incident ray. Any ray passing into the neighboring medium is the refracted ray.

Use ncrystal = 1.682725 and nair = 1 appropriately .
Additionally, I understand that Snell's Law has the ability to predict how these light rays will trace through mediums based on wanting to take the path that's quickest through the medium. I don't know if I have to consider light that's lost at the top surface though--will some light exit the crystal?
I doubt that you are expected to use Fermat's Principle, the principle of least time.

Attachments

• snellslaw_zps1120239d.png
    snellslaw_zps1120239d.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 446
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Snell's Law Application Homework Problem

1. What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law is a scientific principle that explains the behavior of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air and water. It states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the velocities of light in the two mediums. This relationship is known as the refractive index.

2. How is Snell's Law applied in real-world situations?

Snell's Law is used in various applications, such as designing lenses for glasses and cameras, understanding the formation of rainbows, and calculating the refractive properties of different materials. It is also used in industries like telecommunications and fiber optics to understand the behavior of light in different mediums.

3. What is a homework problem involving Snell's Law?

A common homework problem involving Snell's Law is calculating the angle of refraction when light travels from one medium to another, given the angle of incidence and the refractive indices of the two mediums. For example, a problem could ask for the angle of refraction when light travels from air (refractive index of 1.00) to water (refractive index of 1.33) at an angle of incidence of 30 degrees.

4. What is the formula for Snell's Law?

The formula for Snell's Law is n1 sinθ1 = n2 sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two mediums, and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively. This formula can also be written as n1/n2 = sinθ1/sinθ2.

5. How does Snell's Law relate to the speed of light?

Snell's Law relates the speed of light in different mediums to their refractive indices. The higher the refractive index of a medium, the slower the speed of light in that medium. This is why light bends when it passes from one medium to another, as the speed of light changes. The ratio of the refractive indices of two mediums also determines the amount of bending that occurs.