Snowblower project: max torque at the impeller blower

In summary, the problem is that the belt is not slipping, but the engine might not be able to handle the torque. The new snowblower has a 14 inch diameter impeller and an 8 hp engine.
jayjay
Hi Guy
Hopefully someone can help me.
Here's my project my issues is pulley size for getting the max torque at the impeller blower. I need to found the p2, p3 and p4 pulley size in the picture to get the maximum torque at p5 and p6.
Here a link on YouTube of what I have right now it does work but when there a load of snow it stop throwing

Attachments

• 15505054322124611608108527315088.jpg
    15505054322124611608108527315088.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 367
Engineering news on Phys.org
I built a hot rod snowblower. It's a 32" wide walk behind, has an 18 hp engine, and a hydrostatic transaxle. The impeller is 14" diameter, 5" wide, and is geared to run the impeller about 1200 RPM. It has enough power to throw heavy wet snow, and even slush, without bogging down the engine. I have had no trouble with belts slipping. Here's a link to two YouTube videos showing it in action: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJmhb9RpdAncCuuy6cP9NfQ.

It's not clear what your problem is. Do the belts slip, or do you overload the engine? It's not clear just what your snowblower is. It sort of looks like you took two snowblowers, welded them together, and are driving them with one engine. Is that correct? If so, what size and power were the donor snowblowers, and how wide is the new snowblower? What was the RPM of the impellers of the donor snowblowers, and what is the RPM of the impellers in your new snowblower?

Likes berkeman
jrmichler said:
I built a hot rod snowblower. It's a 32" wide walk behind, has an 18 hp engine, and a hydrostatic transaxle. The impeller is 14" diameter, 5" wide, and is geared to run the impeller about 1200 RPM. It has enough power to throw heavy wet snow, and even slush, without bogging down the engine. I have had no trouble with belts slipping. Here's a link to two YouTube videos showing it in action: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJmhb9RpdAncCuuy6cP9NfQ.

It's not clear what your problem is. Do the belts slip, or do you overload the engine? It's not clear just what your snowblower is. It sort of looks like you took two snowblowers, welded them together, and are driving them with one engine. Is that correct? If so, what size and power were the donor snowblowers, and how wide is the new snowblower? What was the RPM of the impellers of the donor snowblowers, and what is the RPM of the impellers in your new snowblower?
TX for the reply
Yes 2x27 inch together so 54 inch
8hp 10 hp moteur original
14 inch diameter also both of them same impeller and I'm guessing 1100 or 1200 rpm
I don't think the belt is slipping but hoard to say if there not enough torque maybe they are

jayjay said:
TX for the reply
Yes 2x27 inch together so 54 inch
8hp 10 hp moteur original
14 inch diameter also both of them same impeller and I'm guessing 1100 or 1200 rpm
I don't think the belt is slipping but hoard to say if there not enough torque maybe they are
Here the last test at the end the belt snap and there's no snow

Pulley that I have right now on the shaft is 3 inch from the motor and 3 inch going on both impeller pulley

Attachments

• 15505401355412801250504019313753.jpg
    15505401355412801250504019313753.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 302
jrmichler said:

Wow now that's is throwing no problem with the speed your going nice job I wish I could. Figured the problem on mine I believe my issue is the 3 inch pulley on the shaft that is to small I should go. With 8 inch

Related to Snowblower project: max torque at the impeller blower

1. How do you calculate the maximum torque at the impeller blower for the snowblower project?

The maximum torque at the impeller blower can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the impeller by the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This is known as the torque formula: torque = force x distance.

2. What factors affect the maximum torque at the impeller blower for the snowblower project?

The maximum torque at the impeller blower can be affected by various factors such as the size and weight of the impeller, the power of the engine, the angle of the blades, and the amount of snow being pushed through the blower. These factors can all impact the force applied to the impeller and therefore affect the maximum torque.

3. Why is it important to determine the maximum torque at the impeller blower for the snowblower project?

Determining the maximum torque at the impeller blower is important because it helps ensure that the snowblower is capable of effectively and efficiently removing snow. It also helps determine the power and strength of the snowblower, which can impact its durability and longevity.

4. How can the maximum torque at the impeller blower be increased for the snowblower project?

The maximum torque at the impeller blower can be increased by making adjustments to the design of the snowblower, such as increasing the size or angle of the blades, or by using a more powerful engine. Additionally, regular maintenance and upkeep of the snowblower can help maintain its maximum torque over time.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to the maximum torque at the impeller blower for the snowblower project?

Yes, there are potential safety concerns related to the maximum torque at the impeller blower for the snowblower project. If the torque is too high, it can cause the impeller to spin too quickly and potentially cause harm to the user or damage to the snowblower. It is important to carefully calculate and monitor the maximum torque to ensure the safety of both the user and the equipment.