So the inverse transform of \frac{3s+ 5}{s^2+ 9} is 3cos(3x)+ (5/3)sin(3x).

In summary: Since the Laplace transform is linear, the inverse transform of 3\frac{s}{s^2+ 9}+ 5\frac{1}{s^2+ 9} is 3 cos(3x)+ (5/3)sin(3x).In summary, the inverse Laplace transform of F(S) = \frac{3s+5}{s^2 +9} is 3 cos(3x)+ (5/3)sin(3x).
Mutaja

Homework Statement

Find the inverse Laplace transform of the expression:

F(S) = [itex]\frac{3s+5}{s^2 +9}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From general Laplace transforms, I see a pattern with laplace transforming sin(t) and cos(t) because:

L{sin(t)+cos(t)} = [itex]\frac{s+1}{s^2 +1}[/itex]

All I'm missing here is a couple of constants(?).

I know that the laplace transform works like this:

L{Asin(Bt)+Ccos(Dt)} = [itex]\frac{Cs}{s^2 +D}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{A*B}{s^2 +B^2}[/itex]

Looking at my original problem, I can see that I need B to equal D, ##D^2## + ##B^2## = 9, C = 3 and A*B = 5.

If I set A = 5, B = 3, C = 9 and D = 3 I get ##3^2## + ##3^2## = 18, 5
3 = 15 (putting numbers into my equations above).

Therefore I need to divide the whole expression by 3 to get my correct answer:

L{[itex]\frac{1}{3}([/itex]5sin(3t)+9cos(3t))} = [itex]\frac{3s+5}{s^2 +9}[/itex]

Is there a simpler way to do this? Or do I just have to use the trial and error method until I find the correct factors/constants?

Any input on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Mutaja said:

Homework Statement

Find the inverse Laplace transform of the expression:

F(S) = [itex]\frac{3s+5}{s^2 +9}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From general Laplace transforms, I see a pattern with laplace transforming sin(t) and cos(t) because:

L{sin(t)+cos(t)} = [itex]\frac{s+1}{s^2 +1}[/itex]

All I'm missing here is a couple of constants(?).

I know that the laplace transform works like this:

L{Asin(Bt)+Ccos(Dt)} = [itex]\frac{Cs}{s^2 +D}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{A*B}{s^2 +B^2}[/itex]

Looking at my original problem, I can see that I need B to equal D, ##D^2## + ##B^2## = 9, C = 3 and A*B = 5.

If I set A = 5, B = 3,
What? One of the equations above said A*B= 5 which is NOT satisfied by A= 5, B= 3. You have only three equations for the four values A, B, C, and D. And there is no reason to assume that A, B, C, and D must be integers.

C = 9 and D = 3 I get ##3^2## + ##3^2## = 18, 5
3 = 15 (putting numbers into my equations above).

Therefore I need to divide the whole expression by 3 to get my correct answer:

L{[itex]\frac{1}{3}([/itex]5sin(3t)+9cos(3t))} = [itex]\frac{3s+5}{s^2 +9}[/itex]

Is there a simpler way to do this? Or do I just have to use the trial and error method until I find the correct factors/constants?

Any input on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Use the fact that the Laplace transform, and so its inverse, is linear.
[tex]\frac{3s+ 5}{s^2+ 9}= 3\frac{s}{s^2+ 9}+ 5\frac{1}{s^2+ 9}[/tex]
and look up their inverse transforms separately.

The laplace transform of [itex]cos(\omega x)[/itex] is [itex]\frac{s}{s^2+ \omega^2}[/itex] so the inverse transform of [itex]3\frac{s}{s^2+ 9}[/itex] is [itex]3 cos(3x)[/itex]

The Laplace transform of [itex]sin(\omega x)[/itex] is [itex]\frac{\omega}{s^2+ \omega^2}[/itex] so the inverse transform of [itex]5\frac{1}{s^2+ 9}= (5/3)\frac{3}{s^2+ 9}[/itex] is [itex](5/3)sin(3x)[/itex].

FAQ: So the inverse transform of \frac{3s+ 5}{s^2+ 9} is 3cos(3x)+ (5/3)sin(3x).

1. What is an Inverse Laplace transform?

An Inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the Laplace domain and finds the function in the time domain that corresponds to it.

2. How is the Inverse Laplace transform calculated?

The Inverse Laplace transform is calculated using complex analysis techniques and the formula 1/(2πi) * ∫F(s)e^(st)dt, where F(s) is the function in the Laplace domain and t is the time variable.

3. What is the significance of the Inverse Laplace transform in science?

The Inverse Laplace transform is important in science because it allows us to solve differential equations and understand the behavior of dynamic systems in the time domain.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Inverse Laplace transform?

Yes, the Inverse Laplace transform can only be used for functions that have a Laplace transform. Some functions, such as those with poles on the imaginary axis, do not have a Laplace transform and therefore cannot be inverted.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Inverse Laplace transform?

Yes, the Inverse Laplace transform has many practical applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. It is commonly used in control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis, among others.