So, the statement is still true.

In summary, the statement "0 < a/2 < b" is still true after dividing one side by two, as long as a and b continue to be positive numbers.
Ronnin
I've been playing around with some proofs and find myself relearning how I do my mathmatical thinking. Just a general question regarding how to handle something like this.

0<a<b So a and b must be positive
a/2 <b I just divided one side by two instead of "dividing through" like you would an equation. The statement is still true, would this be a legal manipulation (for whatever reason)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ronnin said:
I've been playing around with some proofs and find myself relearning how I do my mathmatical thinking. Just a general question regarding how to handle something like this.

0<a<b So a and b must be positive
a/2 <b I just divided one side by two instead of "dividing through" like you would an equation. The statement is still true, would this be a legal manipulation (for whatever reason)?

Well, you might have to justify it, but it's still certainly true, because for positive b:

b/2 < b

And by dividing all sides of the equation by 2, you get...

0<a/2<b/2<b --> 0<a/2<b

FAQ: So, the statement is still true.

What is the definition of an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities and indicates which one is greater than, less than, or equal to the other.

How do you solve an inequality?

To solve an inequality, you must isolate the variable on one side of the inequality symbol and perform the same operation on both sides to maintain balance. The solution will be a range of values that make the inequality true.

What are the different types of inequalities?

The three main types of inequalities are less than (<), greater than (>), and less than or equal to (≤) and greater than or equal to (≥). There are also strict inequalities (< and >) and non-strict inequalities (≤ and ≥).

What is the difference between solving an equation and an inequality?

The main difference between solving an equation and an inequality is that an equation has only one solution, while an inequality has a range of possible solutions. Additionally, when solving an inequality, the direction of the inequality symbol may change depending on the operations performed.

How are inequalities used in real life?

Inequalities are used in real life to represent situations where there is a comparison between two quantities. For example, they can be used to represent income inequality, population growth rates, and weight loss goals. Inequalities are also used in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to model and solve real-world problems.