Software Learning Opportunities for Summer: CAD, Stats Anal. & PSpice

In summary, the speaker is looking for software to learn over the summer and is specifically interested in AutoCAD, Inventor, and statistical analysis programs. They are hoping for a special offer or a good deal on these programs. They mention that Solidworks and Catia have student versions, but accessing them may require a school license. They also mention a free 3D CAD software called FreeCAD and a free 2D software called Solid Edge. For statistical analysis, they mention R as a potential replacement for SAS. They are also interested in learning Python and will check out FreeCAD, which can be programmed in Python. They also mention the Autodesk website, which offers unlimited access to their software for students.
WatermelonPig
I am home for the summer and trying to learn a decent amount of software. I already know about AutoCAD, Inventor, etc. but I can't find anything from them that lasts more than a month and has features removed maybe someone could point me out to a special offer? Also, what are the more popular statistical analysis programs and could someone hit me up with one that has a good offer. I'll be home for 2.5+ months more so I'd like to do something productive. Also maybe someone could point out some decent PSpice tutroials then that would also be awesome.

Physics news on Phys.org

I know for a fact that Solidworks has a student version, but you need to have a school license for as far as I know. Still its allot better then Inventor if you ask me, and it includes statical analisys. Even better would be Catia, but I don't know if they do student licenses.

If I were you, I'd also check with your school.

Yeah I know my school has a lot of this stuff but its a 4 hours round trip and for some of them you need clearences in order to get into some of the labs but others you can just go online and get them but the server is generally slow.

For 3D CAD, there is an up and coming free software call http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/free-cad/index.php?title=Main_Page" ...they keep insisting that they are not ready for production and fear too much popularity too early, but it looks pretty decent to me, already. And the one thing I like the most about it is that it can be program in Python.

For 2D, I think Siemens now offers Solid Edge for free...just google it.

As a replacement of SAS, there is R, of course; have never used it, but I presume it is GUI-less.

Last edited by a moderator:

What luck, I'm actually trying to self study Python right now, I'll definitely try that out. Thanks!

For Autodesk Software:

http://students.autodesk.com/

I use this site myself and they provide unlimited access as long as you are a student and upgrade to the new edition of the software every year.

Related to Software Learning Opportunities for Summer: CAD, Stats Anal. & PSpice

1. What is CAD and its importance in software learning opportunities for summer?

CAD (Computer-Aided Design) is a software used to create, modify, and analyze 2D or 3D designs. It is an essential tool for engineers, architects, and designers as it allows for faster and more accurate design creation. In software learning opportunities for summer, CAD is often taught as it is a fundamental skill in many industries.

2. How can learning CAD benefit me in my career?

Learning CAD can benefit your career in several ways. It can make you more competitive in the job market, as many employers require CAD skills. It can also increase your efficiency and productivity in your job, as CAD allows for faster design creation and modification. Additionally, learning CAD can open up opportunities for career advancement and higher-paying job roles.

3. What is Stats Anal. and how is it relevant in software learning opportunities for summer?

Stats Anal. (Statistics Analysis) is the process of collecting, organizing, analyzing, and interpreting data to make informed decisions. In software learning opportunities for summer, Stats Anal. is often taught as it is a crucial skill for data-driven industries such as finance, marketing, and research. It can also improve problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

4. Is PSpice a necessary skill to learn in software learning opportunities for summer?

PSpice is a circuit simulation software used for analyzing and designing electronic circuits. It is not a necessary skill for all software learning opportunities in the summer, but it can be beneficial for those interested in electrical engineering or electronics. It can also be helpful for individuals looking to pursue a career in the automotive or aerospace industries.

5. Can I learn these software skills in a short period of time during the summer?

The duration of software learning opportunities for summer varies depending on the program and the skill level of the individual. However, with dedicated effort and practice, it is possible to gain a basic understanding of CAD, Stats Anal., and PSpice within a few weeks or months. It is important to note that continuous learning and practice are necessary to master these skills.