Software that would give me the resulting color depending

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a software that can predict the resulting color based on the luminances of other colors. The question is deemed ill-posed as it assumes that perceived color is determined solely by the proportion of radiant light in each wavelength, and it is suggested to convert between color spaces instead. The conversation also touches on the possibility of predicting perceived color based on the lighting of a surface, which is considered a physics problem.
penguin007
(Sorry if this message isn't in the right place, I couldn't find any other)

Hi,
I'm looking for a software that would give me the resulting color depending on the luminances of other colors (for instance 30% of red (680 nm) + 59% of green (545nm) + 11%of blue (440 nm) gives a white color).

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org

penguin007 said:
Hi,
I'm looking for a software that would give me the resulting color depending on the luminances of other colors (for instance 30% of red (680 nm) + 59% of green (545nm) + 11%of blue (440 nm) gives a white color).

Thanks for the help.

1) Luminance is a perceptual measure of light integrated over wavelength, it doesn't really make sense to talk about luminance in individual wavelengths because luminance is a quantity integrated over wavelength. I think the word you are looking for is radiance.

2) I believe the question is ill-posed because you assume that the perceived color is determined only by the proportion of radiant light in each wavelength...whereas I believe the perception of each wavelength is non-linear.

3) Anyway, I think your question may be best answered by simply converting between color spaces...such as, convert from RGB into HSV color space. Conversation equations are here,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSL_and_HSV

By the way, this isn't really a software question as nobody is going to design a piece of software for such a basic calculation.

Thanks for this explanation but I still do not understand everything:
Supposing that we light up the same surface of an optical system (the eye) by two different monochromatic lights (each one characterized by a wavelength and intensity): Can we predict the color that will be perceived by the eye?

I believe that is possible, but it is not a programming problem so much as a physics problem. Try asking in the Physics areas.

FAQ: Software that would give me the resulting color depending

1. What is the purpose of software that gives resulting color depending on input?

The purpose of this software is to accurately predict the resulting color when given a specific input, such as mixing different paint colors or adjusting the RGB values of a digital image.

2. How does this software work?

This software uses mathematical algorithms and color theory principles to calculate the resulting color based on the input factors, such as color pigments, light wavelengths, and color mixing formulas.

3. Can this software be used for different types of color combinations?

Yes, this software can be used for various color combinations, including primary, secondary, and tertiary colors, as well as additive and subtractive color mixing.

4. Is this software accurate?

Yes, this software is designed to provide accurate results based on scientific principles and formulas. However, the accuracy may vary depending on the quality of input data and user error.

5. Can I use this software for commercial purposes?

It depends on the specific software and its licensing terms. Some software may be available for personal or educational use only, while others may allow for commercial use with proper attribution or purchase of a license.

Back