Software to compute thermodynamic functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of various thermodynamic software packages for an investigation on heavy ions. The speaker is using GAMESS for quantum mechanical calculations and is looking for a software that can easily handle thermodynamic functions. Several options are mentioned, including Thermo-Calc, Personal Thermodynamics, Thermo-Kinetics, and free online calculators. The speaker also suggests checking out commercial packages such as HSC Chemistry or Chem3D Pro.
kthouz
Hello!
I am doing an investigation on thermodynamic propeties of certains heavy ions "Alkali-Cloride" ions on the basis of mass spectroscopy and quantum mechanical calculations. For that i use GAMESS as a computer tool to study quantum mechanical properties of those ions (vibration frequency (harmonic and anharmonic), geometry structure of equibrium, ...). The results from GAMESS should allow me to use them in another software to compute thermodynamic functions of those ions, that is, heat capacity, gibbs function, enthalpy, entropy, ... in terms of temperature. Actuallly i was using a software called OpenThermo v1.0.0.beta. The problem is that my director is not used with it. So does anyone else know another that could help me handle that easily?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a number of thermodynamic software packages available that could be used for your investigation. Some of the more popular ones include Thermo-Calc, Personal Thermodynamics, and Thermo-Kinetics. Each of these packages has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to do your research to determine which one would be best suited for your needs. Additionally, there are a number of free online thermodynamic calculators available which can provide basic thermodynamic calculations. It is also worth checking out some of the more comprehensive commercial packages such as HSC Chemistry or Chem3D Pro.

Hello! It sounds like you are conducting a very interesting investigation on thermodynamic properties of heavy ions using mass spectroscopy and quantum mechanical calculations. The use of GAMESS as a computer tool to study the quantum mechanical properties of these ions is a great approach. I understand that you are also looking for a software that can help you compute thermodynamic functions such as heat capacity, Gibbs function, enthalpy, and entropy in terms of temperature. I am not familiar with OpenThermo v1.0.0.beta, but there are several other software options available that may be able to assist you with this task. Some popular options include NIST-JANAF Thermochemical Tables, Thermo-Calc, and HeatTransfer. I suggest researching these options and finding one that best fits your needs and your director's preferences. Good luck with your research!

Related to Software to compute thermodynamic functions

1. What is software to compute thermodynamic functions?

Software to compute thermodynamic functions is a computer program that is designed to calculate and analyze the thermodynamic properties of a system. This can include things like temperature, pressure, energy, and entropy.

2. How does software to compute thermodynamic functions work?

Software to compute thermodynamic functions uses mathematical formulas and algorithms to process input data and generate output data. These calculations are based on the laws of thermodynamics and other scientific principles.

3. What are the benefits of using software to compute thermodynamic functions?

Using software to compute thermodynamic functions can save time and effort compared to manual calculations. It can also provide more accurate and reliable results, and can handle complex calculations that may be difficult to do by hand.

4. Can software to compute thermodynamic functions be used for any system?

Yes, most software to compute thermodynamic functions is designed to be versatile and can be used for a wide range of systems, including gases, liquids, and solids. However, some software may be more specialized for certain types of systems.

5. Are there any potential limitations or drawbacks to using software to compute thermodynamic functions?

While software to compute thermodynamic functions can be very useful, it is important to remember that the accuracy of the results depends on the accuracy of the input data and the validity of the assumptions and models used by the software. It is also important to have a good understanding of the principles behind the calculations in order to properly interpret the results.