Software to solve Nonlinear Systems (ineq and eq)

In summary, Peter is seeking help with using software to compute solutions to a system of nonlinear equalities and inequalities, specifically the Karush-Kuhn-Tucker conditions for a minimizer. He is also open to just computing the solution to the original problem. Peter thanks anyone for their thoughts and help.
soundofsilence
Hi everyone,

I've got an optimisation/computing question. I have a system of nonlinear equalities and inequalities, which I've written below for reference. It's the conditions for a minimiser of a Karush-Kuhn-Tucker problem. Would anyone be kind enough to explain how I could use software to compute the solution? I've never really used MATLAB or maple which I assume might be able to do that. A second best would be computing the solution to the original problem, which I've also posted.

Ideally I would like to compute solutions to these, which I hope are the KKT conditions for a minimiser

[itex]2s_{1}-\mu_{1}+\lambda_{1}(\frac{5}{2}(\frac{1}{2}s_{1}+
\frac{1}{4}s_{2}+\frac{1}{4})^{4}-1)+\lambda_{2}(\frac{2}{3}
(\frac{1}{3}s_{1}+\frac{1}{3}s_{2}+\frac{1}{3}))=0[/itex]

[itex]2s_{2}-\mu_{2}+\lambda_{1}(\frac{5}{4}(\frac{1}{2}s_{1}+
\frac{1}{4}s_{2}+\frac{1}{4})^{4})+\lambda_{2}
(\frac{2}{3}(\frac{1}{3}s_{1}+\frac{1}{3}s_{2}+
\frac{1}{3})-1)=0[/itex]

[itex](\frac{1}{2}s_{1}+\frac{1}{4}s_{2}+\frac{1}{4})^{5}-s_{1}=0[/itex]
[itex](\frac{1}{3}s_{1}+\frac{1}{3}s_{2}+\frac{1}{3})^{2}-s_{2}=0[/itex]

[itex]s_{1},s_{2} \geq 0[/itex]
[itex]\mu_{1},\mu_{2} \geq 0[/itex]

[itex]\mu_{1}s_{1}=0[/itex]
[itex]\mu_{2}s_{2}=0[/itex]

If that seems a bit unlikely or difficult a second best would be just computing the solution to the original problem which is:

minimise [itex]s_{1}^{2}+s_{2}^{2}[/itex]
such that
[itex](\frac{1}{2}s_{1}+\frac{1}{4}s_{2}+\frac{1}{4})^{5}-s_{1}=0[/itex]
[itex](\frac{1}{3}s_{1}+\frac{1}{3}s_{2}+\frac{1}{3})^{2}-s_{2}=0[/itex]

Many thanks,

Peter

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Anyone? Thoughts appreciated!

Related to Software to solve Nonlinear Systems (ineq and eq)

1. What is a nonlinear system?

A nonlinear system is a mathematical model that contains at least one nonlinear equation. This means that the relationship between the input and output variables is not a simple proportion, and the solution cannot be easily obtained by using basic algebraic methods.

2. What is the purpose of using software to solve nonlinear systems?

The purpose of using software to solve nonlinear systems is to obtain accurate and efficient solutions that would be difficult or impossible to find by hand. Nonlinear systems can have complex solutions that require advanced computational methods, making software an essential tool for solving these types of problems.

3. What types of software are available for solving nonlinear systems?

There are various types of software available for solving nonlinear systems, including specialized mathematical software such as MATLAB or Mathematica, as well as general-purpose programming languages like Python and Java. Each type of software has its own strengths and limitations, so it is important to choose the right tool for the specific problem at hand.

4. What are the key features to look for in software for solving nonlinear systems?

When choosing software for solving nonlinear systems, it is important to consider its speed, accuracy, and ability to handle complex equations and variables. Additionally, user-friendliness and availability of support and documentation are important factors to consider.

5. Can software be used to solve both nonlinear equations and inequalities?

Yes, there are software programs specifically designed to solve both nonlinear equations and inequalities. These programs use advanced algorithms and numerical methods to find solutions that satisfy both equations and inequalities simultaneously, providing a comprehensive solution to the nonlinear system.