Software to use for calculus I-III

In summary: MathCAD which allows for the manipulation of realistic-looking equations and computations. - Ivan recommends MathType if you just want to typeset equations, as it does no actual computation.
ivan77
Hi,

Is there software that I can use while learning calc I-III? I don't need the software to give me the answers, but something that I can use to be able to manipulate formulas.

Example. If I have to do a question in the textbook, I would have to write the integral and derivative formulas by hand while figuring out the answer.

I want to be able to write what I usually would by hand on computer, but still do the math myself.

Main reason is the have clean looking notes for when I go back to study for exams.

Thanks,

Ivan.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use Microsoft Word with Mathtype. This will allow you to write your equations in the same manner as you would see them in a textbook or write them by-hand yourself.

I use Mathtype everyday.

See the link below.

http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/

Thanks
Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
CFDFEAGURU said:
You can use Microsoft Word with Mathtype. This will allow you to write your equations in the same manner as you would see them in a textbook or write them by-hand yourself.

I use Mathtype everyday.

See the link below.

http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/

Thanks
Matt

hi Matt,

Thanks for the info. I downloaded the trial and its exactly what I was looking for. Is there anything like this for physics?

Ivan

Is there anything like this for physics?

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean a program that has the equations pre-written for you? If so, the answer is no.

Thanks
Matt

CFDFEAGURU said:
Not sure what you mean. Do you mean a program that has the equations pre-written for you? If so, the answer is no.

Thanks
Matt

Hi Matt,

what I am interested in is something where I can create the diagrams of what I am studying, vectors for example. but come to think of it, I guess some type of simple drawing program would work for the time being.

Thanks again.

Ivan

Ohh ok ... now I understand.

No there isn't anything that I have come across for that. I just use the tools that Word provides. It can be tricky.

Thanks
Matt

Word used to have a basic drawing module built into it which worked pretty well for me for drawing vector diagrams for lab handouts and such. But then Microsoft integrated the drawing tools into Word itself and geared the default format settings towards making pretty shapes for business presentations. Apparently in order for a diagram in a business report to look professional, all the shapes have to be filled with pastel color gradients, and be surrounded with drop shadows. :cry:

MathCAD is your best bet, if you want to be able to manipulate realistic-looking equations and actually do computations with what you enter. MathType is just a typesetting tool, and does no actual computation.

- Warren

FAQ: Software to use for calculus I-III

1. What are the top software programs for calculus I-III?

Some popular software programs for calculus I-III include Wolfram Mathematica, Maple, and Matlab.

2. Can I use free software for calculus?

Yes, there are several free software options for calculus, such as GeoGebra, Maxima, and SageMath. These programs may have limited features compared to paid software, but they can still be useful for learning and practicing calculus concepts.

3. Are there any online resources for learning calculus with software?

Yes, there are many online resources that offer tutorials and practice problems for learning calculus with software. Some examples include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

4. Which software is best for graphing and visualizing calculus concepts?

Some popular choices for graphing and visualizing calculus concepts are GeoGebra, Desmos, and Grapher (for Mac users). These programs allow you to plot functions, find derivatives and integrals, and explore various mathematical concepts.

5. Can I use software for calculus exams or assignments?

It depends on your instructor's guidelines. Some instructors may allow the use of specific software programs for exams or assignments, while others may require manual calculations. It's best to check with your instructor beforehand to avoid any issues.