Solenoid and Plunger Relationship

In summary, the position of the plunger in the solenoid does make a difference to the pull force it is subjected to. The solenoid force distance curve shows that initially only a small force is delivered to the plunger, but as the plunger enters the solenoid, the force increases and reaches its maximum at the center of the solenoid. Moving the plunger some mm into the solenoid can result in a higher initial force. The diagram also suggests that the solenoid stroke should terminate when the plunger is centered within the solenoid.
escape_velocity
Does the initial position of the plunger in the solenoid make a difference to the pull force it is subjected to?

I mean in the default position how much % length of the plunger should be within the solenoid so that optimum force is delivered to the plunger when the solenoid is turned on?

I see from the solenoid force distance curve is a sort of inverse curve initially only a small force is delivered to the plunger, but as the plunger starts entering the solenoid the force increases and finally reaches its maximum when it reaches the center of the solenoid. So I was wondering if I initially move the plunger some mm into the solenoid will the plunger start with a higher force?

Attachments

• solenoid_force_distance.jpg
    solenoid_force_distance.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 644
Physics news on Phys.org
escape_velocity said:
if I initially move the plunger some mm into the solenoid will the plunger start with a higher force?

That's what the diagram appears to be telling you.

CWatters said:
That's what the diagram appears to be telling you.
Thanks CWatters, yes I have so far searched the web and found scattered pieces of information, and yes the graph seems to imply that if we start with the plunger within the solenoid it should experience a higher force... The diagram also seems to say that the maximum force is at the centre of the solenoid. So I was looking for more info if the solenoid stroke should terminate when the pluger end has reached the centre of the solenoid or should I end it when the plunger centre has reached the centre of the solenoid.

I would expect the plunger to stop when the plunger is centered within the solenoid.

Related to Solenoid and Plunger Relationship

What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a type of electromechanical device that converts electrical energy into linear motion. It consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a cylindrical core, typically made of iron or steel.

What is a plunger in relation to a solenoid?

A plunger is a movable component within a solenoid that is pushed or pulled by the magnetic force generated by the coil. It is typically a rod or disc-shaped object that is made of a ferromagnetic material.

How does a solenoid and plunger interact?

The solenoid and plunger have a direct relationship, where the magnetic field created by the solenoid's coil attracts or repels the plunger depending on the direction of the current flow. This allows for controlled linear motion of the plunger within the solenoid.

What are some common applications of solenoids and plungers?

Solenoids and plungers are used in a variety of applications, such as door locks, valves, and relays. They are also commonly found in automotive systems, medical devices, and industrial equipment.

What factors affect the relationship between a solenoid and plunger?

The strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, the size and material of the core, and the current flowing through the coil all play a role in the relationship between a solenoid and plunger. Additionally, the distance between the solenoid and plunger and the direction of the current flow can also impact their interaction.