Solenoids and Force in Different Situations

• Thread starter HannahSantos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a solenoid, magnetic fields, and various objects such as metal bars and magnets. The direction of the magnetic field is arbitrarily assigned by humans, and objects with ferromagnetic properties are attracted to the solenoid due to a lower energy state. The force generated is based on the amount of flux and the area of the object. For magnetic materials, the interaction between the solenoid and object is similar to that of two magnets, with attraction or repulsion depending on the polarity. The formula for electromagnetic force is F=B^2*A/(8*p*9.81) [kgf], and a link is provided for calculating the lifting force of an electromagnet.
HannahSantos
I'm currently studying about Solenoids and Magnetic Fields. However, some questions are confusing me and I'm not really sure how to approach them. If I can get any input on them, I'd really appreciate it. ps, these questions aren't homework questions, they're questions that haven't been assigned since they're at a higher difficulty and I'm curious as to how they work out.

A solenoid is connected to a DC power supply such that the magnetic field is pointing out of the solenoid's on the end that is facing you.

a) a metal bar about 50% longer than the solenoid is inserted halfway into the solenoid. Does the metal bar experience any force from the solenoid? If so, in what direction?

b) i) With the metal bar removed, if you were to attempt to insert a bar magnet from the solenoid side where the magnetic field is going outward, North end first, what force, if any, would it experience?
ii) What if the bar magnet is inserted South end first?

Engineering news on Phys.org
In my opinion the bar-if it is a ferromagnetic metal made-will be attracted into the solenoid, it does not matter how will be introduced in the solenoid. The magnetic flow creates magnetic moments in the bar which represents a kind of magnet and will react with the flow-as in a lifting electromagnet.
The force is actually the lifting electromagnet force:
[tex]F=B^2*A:8\pi:9.81.10^5[/tex] =4.05/10^8*B^2*A kgf B [Wb/m^2] A[m^2] solenoid cross section area.
[tex]B=\mu_o.H [/tex]
H=N*I/h [A/m]
[tex]\mu_o=4\pi:10^7[/tex] [H/m] N=solenoid no. of turns I[A] current h[m] solenoid length.

Notes on your questions:
The "direction" of the magnetic field is arbitrarily assigned by us. The Field is always in a continuous loop- We refer to these as North and South - because the first magnetic field recognized as that of the Earth, and it aligned the north direction. ( It is interesting to note - in our naming convention the North pole of the Earth - would actually be labeled as the S pole if it were a magnet! That is why magnets N is attracted to the North pole of the earth)

The fero-magnetic material is "pulled" into the field, reducing the size of the magnetic field overall. The force is generated as the "system" seeks a lower energy state. It is easier to create the M field in the iron, than in the air - the iron supports higher flux density- the same amount of Flux, in less area,,, lower energy.

As for a MAGNETIC material - the field of the magnet and the solenoid interact exactly the same as two magnets. In one polarity they attract and in the other they repel. Reversing the direction of the current in the solenoid - has the same effect as turning the magnet around. IN one orientation they attract, in the other they repel.

I would approach these questions by first understanding the basic principles of solenoids and magnetic fields. A solenoid is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. The direction of the magnetic field depends on the direction of the current flow. In this case, the current flow is such that the magnetic field is pointing out of the end of the solenoid that is facing the observer.

a) In this scenario, the metal bar is experiencing a magnetic field produced by the solenoid. According to the right-hand rule, the direction of the force on the metal bar will be perpendicular to both the direction of the current flow and the direction of the magnetic field. Since the current is flowing upwards and the magnetic field is pointing outwards, the force on the metal bar will be in the direction of the observer.

b) i) If the metal bar is removed and a bar magnet is inserted from the solenoid side with the North end first, it will experience a repulsive force from the solenoid. This is because like poles repel each other. The North pole of the bar magnet is facing the North pole of the solenoid's magnetic field.

ii) If the bar magnet is inserted South end first, it will experience an attractive force from the solenoid. This is because opposite poles attract each other. The South pole of the bar magnet is facing the North pole of the solenoid's magnetic field.

It's important to note that the force experienced by the bar magnet will also depend on the strength of the magnetic field produced by the solenoid and the distance between the magnet and the solenoid. These factors will affect the magnitude of the force experienced by the bar magnet.

In conclusion, understanding the principles of solenoids and magnetic fields can help us predict and understand the forces experienced by objects in different situations. By applying the right-hand rule and considering the direction of the current and magnetic field, we can determine the direction of the force experienced by the metal bar and bar magnet.

FAQ: Solenoids and Force in Different Situations

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that is used to create a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. It typically has a cylindrical shape and can be found in various sizes and configurations.

2. How does a solenoid produce force?

When an electric current is passed through a solenoid, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with any nearby magnetic materials, such as iron or steel, and produces a force on them. The strength of this force is determined by the strength of the magnetic field and the distance between the solenoid and the object.

3. What are some common applications of solenoids?

Solenoids are used in a variety of applications, including electric locks, valves, and relays. They are also commonly found in electronic devices such as speakers and headphone drivers.

4. Can solenoids be used to control force in different situations?

Yes, solenoids can be used to control force in a variety of situations. By adjusting the strength of the electric current passing through the solenoid, the strength of the magnetic field and the resulting force can be controlled. Solenoids can also be combined with other mechanical components, such as springs, to create more complex force control systems.

5. What factors can affect the force produced by a solenoid?

The force produced by a solenoid can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the electric current passing through it, the number of turns in the coil, the material of the core, and the distance between the solenoid and the object it is interacting with. The shape and size of the solenoid can also play a role in the force it produces.