Solid State: one-dimensional crystal

In summary, to investigate the electronic bands in a one-dimensional crystal in a weak potential, we need to determine the primitive cell, reciprocal mesh, and first Brillouin zone. We also need to solve the Schrodinger equation for both the free electron and potential cases, and use the boundary conditions to determine the allowed values for ##k## and the corresponding energy levels. The difference between the energy levels for the first four bands can then be calculated by subtracting the energy of the free electron case from the energy of the potential case.
skrat

Homework Statement

Investigate electronic bands in one-dimensional crystal in weak potential $$V(x)=\sum _n V_0(H(x-na)-H(x-na-a/3))$$ if ##H(x)## is Heaviside Theta function.

a) Determine primitive cell, reciprocal mesh and first Brillouin zone.
b) Calculate the difference between energy levels for first four electron bands.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) No idea what to do?

If those wore Delta functions, than it would be easy, but now I have no idea what to do here?

b) Hmmm, my idea is very long and maybe even wrong. Since I am not sure about it, I would like to firstly describe in a few words before I start writing everything:

1. I would have to solve Schrodinger equation for both parts (##V=0## and ##V=V_0##).
2. Use correct boundary condition on ##x=0## and ##x=a/3##
3. Define periodic wave functions and than rewrite the boundary conditions.
4. Have no idea, I hope this leads somewhere?Please help :(

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist who specializes in electronic band structures in one-dimensional crystals. I will do my best to help you with your questions.

a) To determine the primitive cell, we need to consider the periodicity of the potential. In this case, the potential has a period of ##a##, but also has a shift by ##a/3##. Therefore, the primitive cell can be defined as a length of ##a## with a shift of ##a/3##. The reciprocal mesh can be determined by taking the inverse of the primitive cell, so the reciprocal lattice vector is ##b = 2\pi/a##. The first Brillouin zone is then defined as the region between ##-b/2## and ##b/2## in the reciprocal space.

b) To calculate the energy levels for the first four electron bands, we need to solve the Schrodinger equation for both parts of the potential. The Schrodinger equation for the free electron case (##V=0##) is given by:

$$\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2} = E\psi$$

The solution to this equation is a plane wave of the form ##\psi(x) = Ae^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx}##, where ##A## and ##B## are constants and ##k## is the wave vector. The boundary conditions at ##x=0## and ##x=a/3## can then be used to determine the allowed values for ##k##.

For the case of ##V=V_0##, the Schrodinger equation becomes:

$$\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2} + V_0\psi = E\psi$$

The solution to this equation can be written as a linear combination of two plane waves:

$$\psi(x) = Ae^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx}$$

where ##A## and ##B## are determined by the boundary conditions at ##x=0## and ##x=a/3##.

Once we have the solutions for both cases, we can use the boundary conditions to determine the allowed values for ##k## and the corresponding energy levels. The difference between the energy levels for the first four bands can then be calculated

FAQ: Solid State: one-dimensional crystal

What is a one-dimensional crystal in solid state?

A one-dimensional crystal in solid state is a type of crystal structure where the atoms or molecules are arranged in a linear, one-dimensional pattern. This means that the crystal has length and direction, but no width or height. Examples of one-dimensional crystals include nanowires and carbon nanotubes.

How does a one-dimensional crystal form?

A one-dimensional crystal forms when atoms or molecules are arranged in a linear pattern and are held together by strong chemical bonds. This can occur through processes such as self-assembly, where the atoms or molecules arrange themselves into a specific pattern, or through growth on a substrate.

What are the properties of a one-dimensional crystal?

One-dimensional crystals have unique properties due to their size and shape. These properties can include high strength, flexibility, and electrical conductivity. They also have a high surface-to-volume ratio, making them useful in applications such as sensors and catalysts.

What are some applications of one-dimensional crystals?

One-dimensional crystals have a wide range of applications in various fields, including electronics, energy storage, and biomedicine. For example, carbon nanotubes are used in transistors and batteries, while nanowires are used in solar cells and sensors. They also have potential uses in drug delivery and tissue engineering.

What are the challenges in studying and using one-dimensional crystals?

One-dimensional crystals are difficult to produce and manipulate on a large scale, which can limit their applications. They are also susceptible to defects and impurities, which can affect their properties. Additionally, their small size and unique properties can make it challenging to accurately study and understand their behavior. Further research is needed to overcome these challenges and fully utilize the potential of one-dimensional crystals.

Back