Solids of Rotation bounded by y=bx^(1/2)

In summary, the volume of a region revolving around an axis that is horizontal at a rate of $\left(b\sqrt{a}-\frac{b^3}{\sqrt{a}}\right)/\tau$ m/s will increase by $8/15\pi a^{5/2}b$ with time.
Dethrone
For $a>0$, let $V$ be the volume created by revolving the region bounded by $y=b\sqrt{x}$ and $x=a$ around the axis $x=a$. The units of $x$, $y$, and $a$ are $[m]$. The units of $b$ are $[m^{1/2}]$. The value of $b$ remains fixed.

For fun and practice, I did this question both with cylindrical and disk method. Also, I'm going to ignore the units for now.

Disk method:

$$dV=\pi \left((a-\left(\frac{y}{b}\right)^2\right)^2dy$$$$V=\pi \int_{0}^{b\sqrt{a}} \left((a-\left(\frac{y}{b}\right)^2\right)^2\,dy$$$$V=\pi a^{5/2}b\left(1-\frac{2b}{3}+\frac{b^3}{5}\right)$$

Cylindrical Shell method:

$$dV=2\pi (a-x)(b\sqrt{x})dx$$
$$V=2\pi \int_{0}^{a} (a-x)(b\sqrt{x})\,dx$$
$$V=\frac{6}{5}\pi a^{5/2}b$$

Anyone find my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your integrals are correctly set up in both cases. When I evaluate them, I get the same result, which is different from both results you obtained.

Disk method:

I am treating $a$ and $b$ as constants.

$$V=\pi \int_{0}^{b\sqrt{a}} a^2y-\frac{2a}{3b}y^3+\frac{y^5}{5b}\,dy$$
$$V=\pi \left(a^2\sqrt{a}b-\frac{2}{3}a\frac{b^3a\sqrt{a}}{b}+\frac{b^5a^2\sqrt{a}}{5b}\right)\,$$
$$V=\pi \left(a^{5/2}b-\frac{2}{3}a^{5/2}b^2+\frac{b^4}{5}a^{5/2}\right)$$

Please correct me :D

Check your expansion of:

\(\displaystyle \left(a-\frac{y^2}{b^2}\right)^2\)

You have made some errors which prevent a nice compact end result. :D

Oopps, I mistyped a line. Should have doubled checked, but still something wrong.

$$V=\pi \int_{0}^{b\sqrt{a}} a^2y-\frac{2a}{3b}y^3+\frac{y^5}{5b}\,dy$$

should be:

$$V=\pi (a^2y-\frac{2a}{3b}y^3+\frac{y^5}{5b})\,|_{0}^{b\sqrt{a}}$$

which I got from integrating this:

$$V=\pi \int_{0}^{b\sqrt{a}} a^2-2a\frac{y^2}{b^2}+\frac{y^4}{b^4}\,dy$$

Okay, this is correct:

\(\displaystyle V=\pi\int_0^{b\sqrt{a}} a^2-\frac{2a}{b^2}y^2+\frac{1}{b^4}y^4\,dy\)

Now, try applying the FTOC...what is the anti-derivative?

MarkFL said:
Okay, this is correct:

\(\displaystyle V=\pi\int_0^{b\sqrt{a}} a^2-\frac{2a}{b^2}y^2+\frac{1}{b^4}y^4\,dy\)

Now, try applying the FTOC...what is the anti-derivative?

I think I'm getting these wrong because I was in a rush. For the other method, my $x$ transformed into an $a$ halfway through the problem so I ended up integrating the wrong variable. I checked this like 5 times, so it escaped me 5 times...(Tmi)

$$V=\pi (a^2y-\frac{2a}{b^2}\frac{y^3}{3}+\frac{1}{b^4}\frac{y^5}{5})|_0^{b\sqrt{a}}$$

If this is wrong, I will immediately enroll myself back in an algebra 1 class...(Speechless)

You will not have to enroll in an algebra class, that is correct...now finish out the FTOC...what do you get?

Went back and fixed my cylindrical method too, and voila! I got for both:

$$V=\frac{8}{15}\pi a^{5/2}b$$

Thanks Mark, as always! (Cool)

Yes, good work! (Yes)

By the way, you are doing yourself good by trying to use two methods on solids of revolution...not only is it a way to check your work, but it is good practice as well. :D

Sometimes it is impractical to use two methods, but when you can, I highly recommend it to all students.

Now for part two of the problem: (Nod)

Part II:
Suppose that $a$ changes with time and the axis moves horizontally at a rate of $\left(b\sqrt{a}-\frac{b^3}{\sqrt{a}}\right)/\tau$ m/s, where $\tau$ has units $$ and is a constant. Find the rate of increase of $V$ with time.

In part a), we determined that $V=\frac{8}{15}\pi a^{5/2}b$. Since $a$ will be moving horizontally with time, $b$ is still constant. Differentiating both sides w.r.t time, $t$:

$$\d{V}{t}=\frac{8}{15}\pi \frac{5}{2}a^{3/2}\d{a}{t}b$$

We know that $\d{a}{t}=\left(b\sqrt{a}-\frac{b^3}{\sqrt{a}}\right)/\tau$:$$\d{V}{t}=\frac{8}{15}\pi \frac{5}{2}a^{3/2}b\left(b\sqrt{a}-\frac{b^3}{\sqrt{a}}\right)/\tau $$
$$=\frac{4}{3}\frac{ab^2\left(a-b^2\right)}{\tau}$$

Is that correct?

There will be a Part III (Headbang)

Yep, looks good to me. (Yes)

Part III is just optimizing the volume, actually. I'm sure I can figure that out. Thanks Mark! :D

Related to Solids of Rotation bounded by y=bx^(1/2)

What is a solid of rotation bounded by y=bx^(1/2)?

A solid of rotation bounded by y=bx^(1/2) is a 3-dimensional solid created by rotating a 2-dimensional shape around a given axis. In this case, the shape is a curve described by the equation y=bx^(1/2) and the axis of rotation is the x-axis.

How is the volume of a solid of rotation bounded by y=bx^(1/2) calculated?

The volume of a solid of rotation bounded by y=bx^(1/2) can be calculated using the formula V=π∫(bx^(1/2))^2dx, where π represents the constant pi, ∫ represents the integral, and dx represents the infinitesimal change in x. This formula can be derived using the method of cylindrical shells or the method of disks/washers.

What other equations can be used to describe the curve y=bx^(1/2)?

The curve y=bx^(1/2) can also be described using the equation x=(y/b)^2, which is the inverse of the original equation. Additionally, it can also be described using the parametric equations x=t^2 and y=bt, where t is a parameter that ranges from 0 to ∞.

What is the relationship between the value of b and the shape of the solid of rotation?

The value of b affects the slope of the curve y=bx^(1/2) and therefore, the shape of the solid of rotation. If b is positive, the curve will be increasing from left to right, resulting in a solid with a bulge. If b is negative, the curve will be decreasing from left to right, resulting in a solid with a dip. If b=0, the curve will be a straight line and the solid will be a cylinder.

Can the solid of rotation bounded by y=bx^(1/2) be approximated using numerical methods?

Yes, the solid of rotation can be approximated using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, or Riemann sums. These methods involve dividing the area under the curve into smaller sections and calculating the volume of each section. As the number of sections increases, the approximation becomes more accurate.