Solubility and Equilibrium question

In summary, to calculate the molar solubility of Cu(OH)2 in 0.87 M NH3, we can use the complexation reaction Cu2+ + 4 NH3 ⇌ Cu(NH3)42+ with a K value of 5.0 × 10^13. Using an ICE table and assuming the concentration of ammonia does not change, we can find the molar solubility by setting up the equation x/(0.87-x)^5=5 * 10^13, where x represents the molar solubility of Cu(OH)2. However, taking into account the OH- concentration as a function of ammonia concentration may also be necessary in this calculation.
TeenieBopper

Homework Statement

Calculate the molar solubility of Cu(OH)2, Ksp = 2.2 × 10^–20, in 0.87 M NH3. Don't forget to use the complexation reaction Cu2+ + 4 NH3 ⇌ Cu(NH3)42+, K = 5.0 × 10^13.

Homework Equations

Ksp=[A]^m^n
Keq=[product]/[reactants]

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure where to begin. I figured that because Cu reacts with NH3, more of the Cu(OH)2 would "disappear" thus having a higher solubility. So I did an ICE table for Cu2+ + 4 NH3 ⇌ Cu(NH3)4 and set it up as x/(.87-x)^5=5 * 10^13, but the answers were non-real. I'm at a loss for where to begin, now. I know I need to do something with the Cu + NH3 reaction, too (otherwise, why would we even be given that information?), but I don't really know what.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to assume concentration of ammonia doesn't change. Note that OH- concentration is a function of ammonia concentration as well.

Related to Solubility and Equilibrium question

1. What is solubility and equilibrium?

Solubility refers to the ability of a substance to dissolve in a solvent. Equilibrium, in the context of solubility, refers to the point at which the rate of dissolution of a substance is equal to the rate of precipitation, resulting in a constant concentration of the substance in the solution.

2. How is solubility determined?

Solubility is determined by various factors including temperature, pressure, and the nature of the solute and solvent. The solubility of a substance can be measured experimentally by gradually adding the solute to a solvent until it reaches a saturated solution, in which no more solute can be dissolved.

3. What is the difference between saturated and unsaturated solutions?

A saturated solution is one in which no more solute can be dissolved at a given temperature and pressure. In contrast, an unsaturated solution still has the ability to dissolve more solute. A supersaturated solution is one in which more solute has been dissolved than what is normally possible at a given temperature and pressure.

4. How does temperature affect solubility?

In general, an increase in temperature leads to an increase in the solubility of solid solutes in a solvent. This is because an increase in temperature provides more energy for the solute particles to break apart and mix with the solvent. However, the solubility of gases usually decreases with increasing temperature.

5. What factors affect the equilibrium of a solution?

The equilibrium of a solution is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the nature of the solute and solvent. Additionally, the presence of other substances in the solution, such as acids or bases, can also impact the equilibrium. Changes in any of these factors can shift the equilibrium in favor of either the dissolved or undissolved form of the solute.