Solubility Product Constant (Ksp) Problem

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of grams of Au ions dissolved in 25 ml of water containing 5g of AuBr3. The conversion factor used to determine the amount of Au ions is 6.2 x 10^-10 mol Au, and the final calculation is 3.05 x 10^-9 g Au. The Ksp value is used to calculate the molar solubility of AuBr3, and it is a reminder that for a compound AxBy, Ksp equals [Ion of A]x[Ion of B]y.
Neptune2235
5g of AuBr3 (Ksp = 4.0 x 10^-36) are placed in 25 ml of water, how many grams of Au ions are dissolved in the 25 ml?

My instructor used the conversion factor (6.2 x 10^-10 mol Au ions) to get from 25 ml H2O to grams Au. I believe the conversion from ml of H2O to grams of Au is: 25ml H2O x (6.2 x10^-10 mol Au / 1000ml) (197 g Au / 1 mol Au) = 3.05 x 10^-9 g Au.
I'm confused about the conversion factor 6.2 x 10^-10 though, can anyone explain to me where this number comes from? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Ksp given to calculate molar solubility of AuBr3.

Remember that Ksp for a compound AxBy equals [Ion of A]x[Ion of B]y.

Related to Solubility Product Constant (Ksp) Problem

1. What is the definition of solubility product constant (Ksp)?

The solubility product constant, or Ksp, is a measure of the maximum amount of a specific compound that can be dissolved in a solvent at a given temperature. It is a constant value that is unique to each compound and is dependent on temperature.

2. How is Ksp calculated?

Ksp is calculated by multiplying together the concentrations of the ions present in a saturated solution of a compound. This is based on the balanced chemical equation for the dissociation of the compound in the solvent.

3. What factors can affect the value of Ksp?

Temperature, pressure, and the presence of other ions can affect the value of Ksp. Additionally, the solubility of the compound can also impact the value of Ksp.

4. How is Ksp used in predicting the solubility of a compound?

Ksp can be used to predict the solubility of a compound by comparing its calculated value to the actual solubility of the compound in a specific solvent. If the calculated Ksp is greater than the actual solubility, then the compound is considered to be soluble. If the calculated Ksp is less than the actual solubility, then the compound is considered to be insoluble.

5. Can Ksp be used to compare the solubility of different compounds?

Yes, Ksp can be used to compare the solubility of different compounds. A higher value of Ksp indicates a higher solubility of a compound, while a lower value of Ksp indicates a lower solubility.