Solution Concentration: Molarity

In summary: Then, use the molarity chart to find out how much of the hexahydrate you need to get the desired solution concentration. So, in this case, you'd need 0.5 mole of the hexahydrate, 6.25 mole of the salt, and 1 L of water. Thanks for asking!
courtrigrad
Hello all

I just need confirmation as to whether I am performing this problem correctly:

How would you prepare 1.00 L of a 0.50 M solution of HCl from a 12M stock reagent?

My solution:

1.00 L * (0.5 mol HCl/ L solution) = 0.5 mol HCl

V * (12 mol HCl / L solution) = 0.5 mol HCl

V = 40 mL

is this the correct volume?

any help is appreciated

thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
seems right to me. except, remember to add the rest of the water to it.

you have the right idea, find the amount of moles you need, in this case .5, then find out how much of the original you need to get .5, then just dilute that amount up to the end amount you want, in this case 1 L.

thanks a lot

just have one more question

If i want to prepare 1.00 L of a 0.50 M solution of NiCl2 from the salt NiCl2 * 6H20, how would i go about in solving this?

The same way, except remember to subtract (or add, depending on how you do it) the weight of the H20 as it will be released when it dissolves in teh solution.

courtrigrad said:
Hello all

My solution:

1.00 L * (0.5 mol HCl/ L solution) = 0.5 mol HCl

V * (12 mol HCl / L solution) = 0.5 mol HCl

V = 40 mL

is this the correct volume?

Yeah, well I would, in this case, skip the 0.5 mol HCl step and just state that I want to dilute the stock solution with a factor 24 (12/0.5), which indeed means taking ~40mL (1/24 of 1000mL) of the stock, if 1L is what you wanted, and add water (and mix!) until the volume is 1L.
Also think about accuracies. How close to 12 M is the concentrated hydrochloric acid and how close to 0.5 M (as well as "how accurately defined", which is a totally different question) do you want the contration of your dilute solution to be? Seems to me you can use the most convenient (and probably least accurate) glassware in this case :cool:

courtrigrad said:
...V = 40 mL...is this the correct volume?
41.7 ml is a better answer, since you can easily read a 50 ml graduated cylinder that closely.

courtrigrad said:
thanks a lot

just have one more question

If i want to prepare 1.00 L of a 0.50 M solution of NiCl2 from the salt NiCl2 * 6H20, how would i go about in solving this?
Here's a tip...first figure out how many moles of solute you need; you need 0.5 mole of NiCl2. That means you need 0.5 mole of the hexahydrate, too, since each mole of it contains a mole of NiCl2.

Related to Solution Concentration: Molarity

1. What is molarity and how is it calculated?

Molarity refers to the concentration of a solution, or the amount of solute dissolved in a given volume of solvent. It is typically measured in moles per liter (mol/L). Molarity is calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters.

2. How does molarity differ from other measures of concentration?

Molarity is just one way to express the concentration of a solution. Other measures include molality (moles of solute per kilogram of solvent), mass percent (mass of solute per 100 grams of solution), and parts per million (ppm). Molarity is often used because it is easy to calculate and can be directly related to the amount of solute in a given volume of solution.

3. How do I prepare a solution with a specific molarity?

To prepare a solution with a specific molarity, you will need to know the molar mass of the solute and the desired molarity. First, calculate the number of moles of solute needed using the formula moles = molarity x volume (in liters). Then, measure out the appropriate amount of solute and add it to a volumetric flask. Add enough solvent (usually water) to reach the desired final volume, and mix well to ensure the solute is completely dissolved.

4. Can molarity change over time?

Yes, molarity can change over time. If the volume of the solution changes, the molarity will change as well. Additionally, if the solute is reactive and undergoes a chemical reaction, the molarity may change. It is important to calculate the molarity of a solution shortly before using it, as it may have changed since it was prepared.

5. How is molarity used in stoichiometry calculations?

Molarity is often used in stoichiometry calculations to determine the amount of reactant or product in a chemical reaction. By knowing the molarity of a solution and the volume used, one can calculate the number of moles of a particular substance. This information can then be used to determine the amount of another substance involved in the reaction, based on the balanced chemical equation.

Back