Solution for Dirac equation with zero mass.

In summary: It is not so. In summary, the Dirac equation for massless particles can be decoupled into separate equations for left and right handed parts. These equations have four solutions each, representing particles with positive and negative helicity, as well as antiparticles with positive and negative helicity. However, for massless particles, helicity and chirality are the same due to the relativistic invariance of helicity under Lorentz boosts. This is explained in the Chirality article on Wikipedia and is further supported by research in the field. Therefore, chirality is not determined by the direction of spin, but rather by the Lorentz transformation property of the solution.
rkrsnan
The dirac equation for massless particles can be decoupled into separate equations for left and right handed parts. [tex]i \tilde{\sigma}^\mu\partial_\mu \psi_R= 0[/tex] and [tex]i \sigma^\mu\partial_\mu \psi_L= 0[/tex]. Now we can have four solutions for each of the above equations. For the equation [tex]i \tilde{\sigma}^\mu\partial_\mu \psi_R= 0[/tex], the solutions are [tex]\left(\begin{array} (E+p_z \\ 0 \end{array}\right) e^{i(-Et+p_z z)}, \left(\begin{array} (0 \\ -E+p_z \end{array}\right) e^{i(-Et+p_z z)}, \left(\begin{array} ( -E+p_z \\ 0 \end{array}\right) e^{i(Et+p_z z)} and \left(\begin{array} ( 0 \\ E+p_z \end{array}\right) e^{i(Et+p_z z)}[/tex] with [tex]E^2-p_z^2 = 0[/tex].From my understanding the above four solutions represent particle with positive helicity, particle with negative helicity, antiparticle with positive helicity and antiparticle with negative helicity. But all the four are right chiral. But people say for massless particles helicity and chirality are the same. How is this possible? Am I making some mistake somewhere?
You may say that massless fermions doesn't exist. But even in standard model at very high energies above the symmetry breaking, all fermions are massless.

Physics news on Phys.org
This paragraph from the Chirality article at Wikipedia seems to hold the answer:
A massless particle moves with the speed of light, so a real observer (who must always travel at less than the speed of light) cannot be in any reference frame where the particle appears to reverse its relative direction, meaning that all real observers see the same chirality. Because of this, the direction of spin of massless particles is not affected by a Lorentz boost (change of viewpoint) in the direction of motion of the particle, and the sign of the projection (helicity) is fixed for all reference frames: the helicity is a relativistic invariant.

Thanks for the reply.

I agree with those quoted statements from wikipedia.

For example if you boost [tex] \left(\begin{array} (E+p_z \\ 0 \end{array}\right) e^{i(-Et+p_z z)} [/tex] we get [tex] \left(\begin{array} (E^'+{p^'}_z \\ 0 \end{array}\right) e^{i(-E^'t+{p^'}_z z)} [/tex] where [tex]E^' [/tex]and [tex] {p^'}_z [/tex] are the new energy and momentum in the boosted frame. Now the helicity operator which is [tex] \left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{array} \right) [/tex] gives a helicity of +1 for the above solution before and after the boost. Everything is fine. Now in the same way the second solution [tex] \left(\begin{array} (0 \\ -E+p_z \end{array}\right) e^{i(-Et+p_z z)}[/tex] has helicity -1 which is unchanged by boost. But both these are the solutions of the equation [tex] i \tilde{\sigma}^\mu\partial_\mu \psi_R= 0 [/tex]. So both are right chiral.

Now wikipedia says
"For massless particles — such as the photon, the gluon, and the (hypothetical) graviton — chirality is the same as helicity; a given massless particle appears to spin in the same direction along its axis of motion regardless of point of view of the observer."

I agree with the second part " a given massless particle appears to spin in the same direction along its axis of motion regardless of point of view of the observer." , but direction of spin has nothing to do with chirality. Chirality is defined based on the lorentz transformation property of the solution.

Am I wrong or is the wikipedia wrong?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. It doesn't contradict what I thought. I think the wikipedia article wrongly attribute chirality to direction of spin.

Related to Solution for Dirac equation with zero mass.

What is the Dirac equation with zero mass?

The Dirac equation with zero mass is a mathematical representation of the behavior of a quantum particle, such as an electron, with zero rest mass. It was first proposed by physicist Paul Dirac in 1928 and is used to describe the behavior of spin-1/2 particles in relativistic quantum mechanics.

Why is the Dirac equation with zero mass important?

The Dirac equation with zero mass is important because it provides a more accurate description of the behavior of quantum particles with zero rest mass. It is also a fundamental equation in quantum field theory, which is a crucial framework for understanding the behavior of elementary particles and their interactions.

What is the significance of the solution for the Dirac equation with zero mass?

The solution for the Dirac equation with zero mass is significant because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum particles with zero rest mass. It also helps us to understand the role of spin in the behavior of these particles and provides a foundation for further developments in quantum physics.

How is the solution for the Dirac equation with zero mass derived?

The solution for the Dirac equation with zero mass is derived using mathematical techniques such as the separation of variables and the use of spinors. These techniques allow us to simplify the equation and solve for the particle's wave function, which describes its behavior in space and time.

What are some real-world applications of the solution for the Dirac equation with zero mass?

Some real-world applications of the solution for the Dirac equation with zero mass include particle physics experiments, where it is used to study the behavior of elementary particles, and quantum computing, where it is used to develop algorithms for processing information. It also has implications in the development of new technologies, such as spintronics, which utilizes the spin of particles for information storage and processing.