Solution for mixed differential and algebraic equations

In summary, the individual is struggling to find a solution for a complex model with multiple free body diagrams and equations of motion. They are specifically looking for a way to solve the equations using a ODE solver, but are having difficulty due to the lack of first derivatives. They suggest modifying the problem to only have ordinary differential equations, but this may change the intended behavior. They are seeking advice or suggestions on how to handle this issue.
WLamers
I'm confused finding a solution (numerical integration is ok) for the following model:

http://imageshack.com/a/img27/7080/brmb.jpg

Free body diagrams:

http://imageshack.com/a/img22/9523/r0is.jpg And the equations of motion:

\begin{align}
k_{s,1}x_1+k_{s,2}x_1^3+k_m(x_1-x_2)+k_f(x_1-x_3) &= F\\
d_m\dot{x}_2-k_m(x_1-x_2) &= 0\\
F_fsign(\dot{x}_3)-k_f(x_1-x_3) &= 0
\end{align}

How can I solve these equations, preferably using a ODE solver. Problem is the lack of first derivatives. Substitution is possible when the lowest element is not present. But with this system I cannot find a solution. Help appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody?

I guess this is a DAE problem (Differential Algebraic Equation) and will not be easy to solve with numerical integration. Maybe it will be easier to just modify the problem in a way I end up with just a set of ordinary differential equations. But this requires to seprate the lower spring + friction damper (because of the $$sign(\dot{x}_3)$$, which in turn results in a different than intented behaviour. Maybe someone has a hint to end up with ordinary differential equations without having to sacrifice the sping+friction damper element? Thanks!

FAQ: Solution for mixed differential and algebraic equations

What are mixed differential and algebraic equations?

Mixed differential and algebraic equations are mathematical equations that involve both derivatives and algebraic expressions. They are typically used to model systems that involve both continuous and discrete variables.

Why are mixed differential and algebraic equations important?

Mixed differential and algebraic equations are important because they allow us to model complex systems that involve both continuous and discrete variables. This makes them useful in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.

What are some methods for solving mixed differential and algebraic equations?

There are several methods for solving mixed differential and algebraic equations, including the semi-implicit Euler method, the generalized-alpha method, and the orthogonal collocation method. The choice of method depends on the specific characteristics of the equation and the desired accuracy of the solution.

What are some challenges in solving mixed differential and algebraic equations?

One of the main challenges in solving mixed differential and algebraic equations is the stiffness of the equations. This can lead to numerical instabilities and difficulties in finding an accurate solution. Additionally, the presence of both differential and algebraic equations can make the problem more complex and difficult to solve.

What are some applications of mixed differential and algebraic equations?

Mixed differential and algebraic equations have many applications, including in the modeling of chemical reactions, electrical circuits, and mechanical systems. They are also used in optimization problems and control systems.