Solution of 2 x'' y + 3 x' y' + x y'' = 0 where ' is d/dt

• Thread starter Dukon
  • Start date
In summary, the solution to the equation is x=C(e^{-rt},e^{-st}) where r is a free parameter and the constants C and D are arbitrary.
Dukon

Homework Statement

Given [itex]\dot{x} \equiv { \mathrm{d}x \over \mathrm{d}t }[/itex] and [itex]\ddot{x}[/itex] is [itex]{ \mathrm{d^2}x \over \mathrm{d}t^2 }[/itex]

what is solution for x(t) and y(t) which satsifies

[itex]2 \ddot{x} y + 3 \dot{x} \dot{y} + x \ddot{y} = 0[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

clearly, guesses could be made for x(t) and y(t) but is there a most general solution which somehow includes all possible solutions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Doug Brown said:
(can the [itex] construction be used in the post titles also or only in the body?)

Don't put equations in the titles in the first place. It violates forum rules.

Doug Brown said:

Homework Statement

Given [itex]\dot{x} \equiv { \mathrm{d}x \over \mathrm{d}t }[/itex] and [itex]\ddot{x}[/itex] is [itex]{ \mathrm{d^2}x \over \mathrm{d}t^2 }[/itex]

Homework Equations

clearly, guesses could be made for x(t) and y(t) but is there a most general solution which somehow includes all possible solutions?
Let ##x = e^{rt}## and let ##y = e^{st}##.
See where that gets you.

I know but I said that already in "3. The Attempt at a Solution "
[itex]e^{rt}[/itex] is just a guess
I am looking for a more general more formal solution method

Doug Brown said:
This is more of an "educated guess" than just a guess. This is also a standard (and formal) technique that is used in solving differential equations.

Doug Brown said:

It's kind of an odd problem with a second order DE and two unknown functions with no second equation nor boundary conditions. Not sure what to expect, but Mark's suggestion leads to two solutions of the form $$
(x(t),y(t)) = C(e^{rt},e^{-2rt})\text{ and } D(e^{rt},e^{-rt})$$each with a free parameter ##r## and arbitrary constants. Of course, your question involves whether or not that is all there are. That question is usually answered by existence and uniqueness theorems. But this is a nonlinear setting so all bets are off. Whether there are such theorems for this kind of setting, I don't know.

Doug Brown said:
is there a most general solution which somehow includes all possible solutions?
It's too easy to generate whole families of solutions. E.g. set x=tm, y=tn (not even bothering with constant multiples) gives a solution whenever neither n nor m is zero and n is either -2m or 1-m.

Doug Brown said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Let [itex]x(t)[/itex] be arbitrary. You are then left with a second-order linear ODE for [itex]y(t)[/itex] with singular points wherever [itex]x(t) = 0[/itex].

EDIT: You have [tex]
2\ddot x y + 3 \dot x \dot y + x \ddot y = (\ddot x y + 2 \dot x \dot y + x \ddot y) + (\ddot x y + \dot x \dot y)
= \frac{d^2}{dt^2}(xy) + \frac{d}{dt}(\dot x y) = 0[/tex] so you can integrate once immediately.

Last edited:
pasmith said:
Let [itex]x(t)[/itex] be arbitrary. You are then left with a second-order linear ODE for [itex]y(t)[/itex] with singular points wherever [itex]x(t) = 0[/itex].

EDIT: You have [tex]
2\ddot x y + 3 \dot x \dot y + x \ddot y = (\ddot x y + 2 \dot x \dot y + x \ddot y) + (\ddot x y + \dot x \dot y)
= \frac{d^2}{dt^2}(xy) + \frac{d}{dt}(\dot x y) = 0[/tex] so you can integrate once immediately.
taking that a bit further, we can set x to be any function of t and obtain ##y=\frac c{x^2}\int x.dt##

Hi @Doug Brown:

I am not sure if this idea would be of general use, but I seem to remember learning about this technique as an undergraduate many decades ago.

Define two differential operators as follows:
Dx = (d/dt)(∂/∂y)
Dy = (d/dt)(∂/∂x)​
Then the equation can be written as:
[ 3 Dx2 + 2 Dx Dy +Dy2 ] xy = 0​
This can be factored as follows:
[ [ Dx + Dy ] × [ 2 Dx + Dy ] ] xy = 0​
This produces two equations:
[ Dx + Dy ] xy = 0
and
[ 2 Dx + Dy ] xy = 0​
I don't have a way of using a dot to indicate differentiation WRT t, so I will use an apostrophe instead.
These equations can be written as:
(1) x'y + xy' = 0
(2) 2x'y + xy' = 0
I have not checked this out, but I think that if a pair P1{x(t),y(t)} satisfies (1), and P[SUB2[/SUB]{x(t),y(t)} satisfies (2), then one general solution (of possibly many) of the original equation would be
A × P1{x(t),y(t)} + B × P2{x(t),y(t)}​
with A and B arbitrary constants.

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi @Doug Brown:

I am not sure if this idea would be of general use, but I seem to remember learning about this technique as an undergraduate many decades ago.

Define two differential operators as follows:
Dx = (d/dt)(∂/∂y)
Dy = (d/dt)(∂/∂x)
(Above) Is this really what you meant? Usually Dx is a way of writing the operator ##\frac{d}{dx}## and similarly for Dy
Buzz Bloom said:
Then the equation can be written as:
[ 3 Dx2 + 2 Dx Dy +Dy2 ] xy = 0​
This can be factored as follows:
[ [ Dx + Dy ] × [ 2 Dx + Dy ] ] xy = 0​
This produces two equations:
[ Dx + Dy ] xy = 0
and
[ 2 Dx + Dy ] xy = 0
This is what I did using the hint I gave back in post #3.
Buzz Bloom said:
I don't have a way of using a dot to indicate differentiation WRT t, so I will use an apostrophe instead.
These equations can be written as:
(1) x'y + xy' = 0
(2) 2x'y + xy' = 0
I have not checked this out, but I think that if a pair P1{x(t),y(t)} satisfies (1), and P[SUB2[/SUB]{x(t),y(t)} satisfies (2), then one general solution (of possibly many) of the original equation would be
A × P1{x(t),y(t)} + B × P2{x(t),y(t)}​
with A and B arbitrary constants.

Regards,
Buzz

Mark44 said:
(Above) Is this really what you meant? Usually Dx is a way of writing the operator ddx\frac{d}{dx} and similarly for Dy
Hi Mark:

I am familiar with Dx being an alternative notation for d/dx. I don't remember what the notation was to represent (d/dt)(∂/∂y) when I learned differential equations back in the 1950s, so I borrowed the Dx notation for that.

Mark44 said:
This is what I did using the hint I gave back in post #3.
What I found was that (1) yields y = -1/x, and (2) y = -1/x2. One solution for (1) is x = tα, y = t. This solution seems to be valid for any value of α. Similarly for (2) x = tα, y = t-2α. I have not checked out combinations.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Mark:

I am familiar with Dx being an alternative notation for d/dx. I don't remember what the notation was to represent (d/dt)(∂/∂y) when I learned differential equations back in the 1950s, so I borrowed the Dx notation for that.What I found was that (1) yields y = -1/x, and (2) y = -1/x2. One solution for (1) is x = tα, y = t. This solution seems to be valid for any value of α. Similarly for (2) x = tα, y = t-2α. I have not checked out combinations.

Regards,
Buzz
Seems to me nobody has grasped the significance of my post #8. It shows how you can get all possible solutions by plugging in any integrable function for x(t) that you like, then determining y(t). What more is there to say?

Likes Buzz Bloom
Another aspect of the approach I suggested is that it allows one to directly see the possible relationships between the variables x and y in a form independent of the parameter t.

Regards,
Buzz

FAQ: Solution of 2 x'' y + 3 x' y' + x y'' = 0 where ' is d/dt

1. What is the equation "2 x'' y + 3 x' y' + x y'' = 0" used for?

This equation is used in mathematical modeling to describe the relationship between two variables that are changing over time. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. What do the symbols x, y, and t represent in the equation?

x and y represent the two variables that are changing over time, and t represents time itself. The derivatives (indicated by the primes) represent the rates of change of these variables with respect to time.

3. How do you solve this type of equation?

This is a second-order differential equation, meaning it contains second derivatives. To solve it, we need to use methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or variation of parameters. The specific method used depends on the specific form of the equation and the initial conditions given.

4. What is the physical significance of the solution to this equation?

The solution to this equation represents the behavior of the two variables over time. It can help us understand how the variables are related and how they change in response to each other and to external factors. This can be useful in predicting and controlling the behavior of systems in the real world.

5. Can this equation be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, this equation is widely used in many scientific fields to model and understand various phenomena. It has many practical applications, such as in predicting the motion of objects, analyzing electrical circuits, and studying chemical reactions.

Back