Solution of Heat Equation Through Fourier Series.

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the Heat Equation with inhomogeneous boundary conditions for a rod through Fourier Series. The general solution is found to be the steady-state temperature v(x) plus the transient temperature w(x,t). The coefficient c_n is evaluated using initial conditions, and then broken into two integrals which are solved separately. The issue of odd and even solutions for c_n is addressed and it is concluded that both solutions are equal for all n. Therefore, the final solution is presented as the sum of two separate sums, one for n odd and one for n even, instead of a single sum.
Je m'appelle
OK, so I was trying to solve the Heat Equation with Inhomogeneous boundary conditions for a rod through Fourier Series when I got stuck at the solution for the coefficient [tex]c_n[/tex], the part where I'm stuck is highlighted in red.

The following is just a step-by-step solution of how I got to [tex]c_n[/tex].

Heat Equation

[tex]\alpha^2 \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}u(x,t) = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}u(x,t) [/tex]

Initial Conditions

1. [tex]u(0,t) = T_1 = 20,\ u(30,t) = T_2 = 50,\ \forall \ t > 0[/tex]

2. [tex]u(x,0) = 60 - 2x \ \forall \ 0 < x < 30[/tex]

3. [tex]\alpha^2 = 1[/tex]

Solution

So the general solution would be the steady-state temperature [tex]v(x)[/tex] plus the transient temperature [tex]w(x,t)[/tex] such as

[tex]u(x,t) = v(x) + w(x,t)[/tex]

I found out that

[tex]v(x) = 20 + x[/tex]

[tex]f(x) = u(x,0) + v(x) = w(x,0) + v(x) = 80 - x[/tex]

Then by evaluating the general expression for the nonhomogeneous heat equation I got to

[tex] u(x,t) = T_1 + (T_2 - T_1)\frac{x}{L} + \sum_{n=1}^{+\infty} c_n e^{-\frac{n^2 \pi^2 \alpha^2}{L^2}t} sin(\frac{n \pi x}{L}) [/tex]

Where

[tex]c_n = \frac{2}{L}\int_{0}^{L} [f(x) - (T_2 - T_1)\frac{x}{L} - T_1] sin(\frac{n \pi x}{L}) dx [/tex]

My struggling begins here, at [tex]c_n[/tex], let's evaluate it.

By using the initial conditions it can be rewritten as

[tex]c_n = \frac{1}{15}\int_{0}^{30} (60 - 2x) sin(\frac{n \pi x}{30}) dx [/tex]

I'll break it into two integrals as follows

[tex]c_n = \frac{1}{15}\int_{0}^{30} 60 sin(\frac{n \pi x}{30}) dx - \frac{1}{15}\int_{0}^{30} 2x sin(\frac{n \pi x}{30})dx[/tex]

[tex]c_n = (I) + (II) [/tex]

Let's solve the integrals separately, solving (I) first

[tex](I) = 4 \int_{0}^{30} sin(\frac{n \pi x}{30}) dx [/tex]

[tex](I) = \frac{120}{n \pi}(-cos(n \pi) + 1)[/tex]

Now here, I can consider two solutions, (I) = 0 for n ''even'' or (I) = [tex]\frac{240}{n \pi}[/tex] for n ''odd''.

Now, solving (II)

[tex](II) = \frac{2}{15}\int_{0}^{30} x sin(\frac{n \pi x}{30}) dx[/tex]

[tex](II) = \frac{120}{n \pi}(\frac{sin(n\pi)}{\pi} - cos(n \pi)) [/tex]

Now, [tex]sin(n\pi) = 0[/tex] for n ''odd'' or ''even'', therefore the solution of (II) becomes

[tex](II) = \frac{120}{n \pi}( - cos(n \pi)) [/tex]

Which will be [tex]\frac{120}{n \pi}[/tex] for n ''odd'' or [tex]-\frac{120}{n \pi}[/tex]for n ''even''.

So as you can see, I have two possible solutions for [tex]c_n[/tex] which happens when either n is ''odd'' or ''even'', my question is, which one should I consider? The one for all n ''odd'' or the one for all n ''even''?

Like, if I carry on I would eventually get to

For all n ''odd'':

[tex]c_n = (I)_{odd} + (II)_{odd} [/tex]

[tex]c_n = \frac{120}{n\pi}[/tex]

[tex] u(x,t) = (20 + x) + \frac{120}{\pi}\sum_{n=1,3,5,...}^{+\infty} \frac{1}{n} e^{-\frac{n^2 \pi^2}{900}t} sin(\frac{n \pi x}{30}) [/tex]

For all n ''even'':

[tex]c_n = (I)_{even} + (II)_{even} [/tex]

[tex]c_n = -\frac{120}{n\pi}[/tex]

[tex] u(x,t) = (20 + x) - \frac{120}{\pi}\sum_{n=2,4,6,...}^{+\infty} \frac{1}{n} e^{-\frac{n^2 \pi^2}{900}t} sin(\frac{n \pi x}{30}) [/tex]

So which solution should I use? The one for the n ''odd'' or the one for n ''even''?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How it is that your two different conditions give one u(0,0)=20 and the second one u(0,0)=60?

arkajad said:
How it is that your two different conditions give one u(0,0)=20 and the second one u(0,0)=60?

They don't.

For [tex]u(x,0) = 60 - 2x[/tex]

we have 0 < x < 30

and for [tex]u(0,t) = 20[/tex]

we have t > 0.

I guess I haven't specified it very clear in the initial conditions on the original post, I'll edit that.

Here's the problem:

[PLAIN]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4238/ff212.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From (19) you have discontinuity at x=0? For t=0 you have u(0+,0)=60-0=60
And for t>0 you have u(0,t)=20. Just checking ...

Last edited:
As for your odd-even problem: why don't you use odd solution for odd n and even solution for even n? I do not get it. After all you have to sum over n from 1 to infinity...

Hey, I think I've got it, listen

Je m'appelle said:
For all n ''odd'':

[tex]c_n = (I)_{odd} + (II)_{odd} [/tex]

[tex]c_n = \frac{120}{n\pi}[/tex]

[tex] u(x,t) = (20 + x) + \frac{120}{\pi}\sum_{n=1,3,5,...}^{+\infty} \frac{1}{n} e^{-\frac{n^2 \pi^2}{900}t} sin(\frac{n \pi x}{30}) [/tex]

For all n ''even'':

[tex]c_n = (I)_{even} + (II)_{even} [/tex]

[tex]c_n = -\frac{120}{n\pi}[/tex]

[tex] u(x,t) = (20 + x) - \frac{120}{\pi}\sum_{n=2,4,6,...}^{+\infty} \frac{1}{n} e^{-\frac{n^2 \pi^2}{900}t} sin(\frac{n \pi x}{30}) [/tex]

So which solution should I use? The one for the n ''odd'' or the one for n ''even''?

[tex]\frac{1}{n} e^{-\frac{n^2 \pi^2}{900}t} sin(\frac{n \pi x}{30}) [/tex]

is an even function right?

As both

[tex](\frac{1}{n}e^{-\frac{n^2 \pi^2}{900}t})[/tex] and [tex]sin(\frac{n \pi x}{30})[/tex] are odd functions, their product is an even function and therefore, for even functions

[tex]f(-x) = f(x)[/tex]

So I guess

[tex]\frac{120}{\pi}\sum_{n=1,3,5,...}^{+\infty} \frac{1}{n} e^{-\frac{n^2 \pi^2}{900}t} sin(\frac{n \pi x}{30}) = \frac{120}{\pi}\sum_{n=2,4,6,...}^{+\infty} (\frac{-1}{n}) e^{-\frac{n^2 \pi^2}{900}t} sin(\frac{n \pi x}{30}) [/tex]

And therefore as both solutions are equal for all n I can rewrite it as

[tex] u(x,t) = (20 + x) + \frac{60}{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty} \frac{1}{n} e^{-\frac{n^2 \pi^2}{900}t} sin(\frac{n \pi x}{30}) [/tex]

What do you say? Is this acceptable?

Last edited:
I do not understand what you are doing. You have 0<x<30, so the question of even-odd functions should not even arise. The exponential is a constant function (as a function of x), why you call it odd? Why don't you just add two sums, one for n even, one for n odd, including your (I) and (II) and simplifying according to the case?

arkajad said:
I do not understand what you are doing. You have 0<x<30, so the question of even-odd functions should not even arise. The exponential is a constant function (as a function of x), why you call it odd? Why don't you just add two sums, one for n even, one for n odd, including your (I) and (II) and simplifying according to the case?

Oh, you're right, what was I doing? :-p Never mind the previous post. I guess I'll just add the two sums then.

Thanks arkajad.

You started with the substitution

u(x,t) = v(x) + w(x,t)

This will give you w(x,0) = u(x,0) - v(x). You have correctly determined that v(x) = 20 + x so you should have

w(x,0) = 60 - 2x - (20 + x) = 40 - 3x.

It looks to me like you are copying a general answer from a text instead of understanding what you are doing. You should be solving the W system:

wxx(x,t) = wt(x,t)
w(0,t) = 0, w(0,30) = 0
w(x,0) = 40 - 3x.

Once you get w(x,t) you will add v(x) to it to get the solution. Eventually you should come to the Fourier series

[tex]40 - 3x = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}b_n\sin\frac{n\pi}{30}x[/tex]

for which you can use the half range sine coefficients. Don't break it into odd and even, just calculate them.

FAQ: Solution of Heat Equation Through Fourier Series.

1. What is the heat equation and why is it important?

The heat equation is a partial differential equation that describes how heat is distributed in a given region over time. It is important because it is used to model and solve a variety of real-world problems, such as heat transfer in materials, temperature distribution in buildings, and thermal behavior of electronic devices.

2. What is a Fourier series and how is it related to the heat equation?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is used to approximate or reconstruct a function from its values at discrete points. The solution of the heat equation through Fourier series involves using this method to find a series of functions that satisfy the heat equation and can be used to predict the temperature distribution in a given region.

3. What is the process for solving the heat equation through Fourier series?

The process for solving the heat equation through Fourier series involves several steps. First, the given boundary conditions and initial conditions are used to set up the problem. Then, the heat equation is transformed into a mathematical form that can be solved using Fourier series. Next, the coefficients of the series are determined by applying the orthogonality property of the sine and cosine functions. Finally, the solution is obtained by substituting the coefficients into the series and solving for the temperature as a function of time and position.

4. What are some limitations of using Fourier series to solve the heat equation?

Although the Fourier series method is a powerful and widely used technique for solving the heat equation, it does have some limitations. For example, it can only be used for problems with certain boundary conditions, such as those that are periodic or have fixed temperatures at the boundaries. It also assumes that the material properties and heat sources are constant, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.

5. How is the solution of the heat equation through Fourier series validated?

The solution obtained through Fourier series can be validated by comparing it to experimental data or other numerical methods. Additionally, the solution can be checked for physical plausibility, such as ensuring that the temperature does not exceed any known limits or that energy is conserved. Sensitivity analysis can also be performed to determine how small changes in the input parameters affect the solution.