Solution of Laplace Spherical Equation with Boundary Conditions

In summary, we are considering Laplace's equation on a unit sphere with a given boundary condition. To approximate the solution, we will use a three-term approximation using spherical harmonics. The solution takes the form of a summation involving the coefficients $A_{\ell,m}$ and the spherical harmonics $Y^m_{\ell}$. We can solve for these coefficients by using the given integral expression and the axisymmetric case of the solution. Using the given boundary condition, we can find a more elegant expression for the spherical harmonics and the coefficients.
Dustinsfl
Consider Laplace's equation on a sphere of unit radius with the boundary condition
$$
u(1,\theta,\varphi) = f(\theta,\varphi)\begin{cases}
100 & -\pi/4 < \varphi < \pi/4\\
0 & \text{otherwise}
\end{cases}
$$
Here we will consider a three-term approximation to the solution, i.e., involving the spherical harmonics $Y^m_{\ell}$ for $\ell = 0,1,2$ and $m = -\ell,\ldots,\ell$.

Conclude that the form of the solution will be
$$
u(r,\theta,\varphi) = \sum_{\ell = 0}^2\sum_{m = -\ell}^{\ell}A_{\ell,m}Y^m_{\ell}(\theta,\varphi)
$$
with (shoudn't there be a 100 in front of this integral?)
$$
A_{\ell,m} = \int_{-\pi/4}^{\pi/4}\int_0^{\pi}\bar{Y}^m_{\ell}(\theta,\varphi)\sin\theta d\theta d\varphi.
$$
Let $u(r,\theta,\phi) = G(r,\theta)\Phi(\varphi)$. We have already solved for the axisymmetric case and know the solution is of the form
$$
u(\ell,\theta) = \sum_{\ell = 0}^{\infty}\left(A_{\ell}r^{\ell} + B_{\ell}\frac{1}{r^{\ell + 1}}\right)P_{\ell}(\cos\theta).
$$
Therefore, $\Phi'' = -\lambda^2\Rightarrow n = \pm i\lambda$ (I just put this down since I couldn't derive it. Can someone show me how to get to this part?). That is, $\Phi(\varphi) = e^{\pm i m\varphi}$. So the general solution is
$$
u(r,\theta,\phi) = \sum_{\ell = 0}^{\infty}\sum_{m = -\ell}^{\ell}A_{\ell,m}P^m_{\ell}(\cos\theta)e^{im\varphi}
$$
since $r = 1$.
(There has to be a way to show this two more elogantly than just saying this is this except it) Define $P^{-m}_{\ell}(x) = (-1)^m\frac{(\ell - m)!}{(\ell + m)!}P^m_{\ell}(x)$ and also define
$$
Y^m_{\ell}(\theta,\varphi) = \sqrt{\frac{(2\ell + 1)!(\ell - m)!}{4\pi(\ell + m)!}}P^m_{\ell}(\cos\theta)e^{im\varphi}.
$$
Then we have
$$
u(r,\theta,\varphi) = \sum_{\ell = 0}^2\sum_{m = -\ell}^{\ell}A_{\ell,m}Y^m_{\ell}(\theta,\varphi).
$$
Lastly, using the boundary condition above, we have that
$$
A_{\ell,m} = 100\int_{-\pi/4}^{\pi/4}\int_0^{\pi}\bar{Y}^m_{\ell}(\theta,\varphi)\sin\theta d\theta d\varphi.
$$

How do I do this?
From the definition of the spherical harmonics, write down the explicit expressions for $Y^m_{\ell}$ for $\ell = 0,1,2$ and $m = -\ell,\ldots,\ell$.

Physics news on Phys.org
For $\ell=0$: $Y^0_0 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}$For $\ell=1$: $Y^{-1}_1 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}\cos\theta e^{-i\varphi}$$Y^0_1 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}\sin\theta$$Y^1_1 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}\cos\theta e^{i\varphi}$For $\ell=2$: $Y^{-2}_2 = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{4\pi}}\left(3\cos\theta -1\right)e^{-2i\varphi}$$Y^{-1}_2 = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{4\pi}}\sqrt{3}\sin\theta e^{-i\varphi}$$Y^0_2 = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{4\pi}}\left(3\cos\theta + 1\right)$$Y^1_2 = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{4\pi}}\sqrt{3}\sin\theta e^{i\varphi}$$Y^2_2 = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{4\pi}}\left(3\cos\theta - 1\right)e^{2i\varphi}$

Related to Solution of Laplace Spherical Equation with Boundary Conditions

1. What is the Laplace Spherical Equation and why is it important in science?

The Laplace Spherical Equation is a partial differential equation that describes the distribution of potential in a spherical system. It is important in science because it is used to solve various physical problems in fields such as electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer.

2. What are boundary conditions and why are they necessary when solving the Laplace Spherical Equation?

Boundary conditions are conditions or constraints that are placed on the solution of the Laplace Spherical Equation at the boundaries of the system. They are necessary because they help determine the unique solution to the equation and ensure that the solution is physically meaningful.

3. How is the Laplace Spherical Equation solved with boundary conditions?

The Laplace Spherical Equation with boundary conditions can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, integral transforms, or numerical techniques. The most common method is separation of variables, where the solution is expressed as a series of spherical harmonics and the boundary conditions are used to determine the coefficients of the series.

4. What are some applications of the solution of the Laplace Spherical Equation with boundary conditions?

The solution of the Laplace Spherical Equation with boundary conditions has many applications in science and engineering. It is used to model the potential and flow of electric and magnetic fields in spherical systems, the temperature distribution in a spherical object, and the pressure distribution in a spherical fluid flow, among others.

5. Are there any limitations to the solution of the Laplace Spherical Equation with boundary conditions?

Yes, there are limitations to the solution of the Laplace Spherical Equation with boundary conditions. The equation can only be solved in certain symmetry conditions, such as spherical symmetry. It also assumes that the system is at equilibrium and does not account for any time-dependent behavior. Additionally, the solution may not be accurate for complex geometries or in the presence of strong external forces.