Solution: Proof of Convex Hull's Convexity and Intersection Property

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, the Convex Hull is the smallest convex set that contains all given points in a specific space. It has two important properties: the Convexity Property, which states that any line segment connecting two points within the Convex Hull must also be contained within the Convex Hull, and the Intersection Property, which states that the Convex Hull of the intersection of two sets of points is equal to the intersection of their individual Convex Hulls. The Convex Hull is significant in mathematics and science for its applications in optimization, computational geometry, and data analysis. Its properties can be proven using mathematical concepts and proofs.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Here's this week's problem.

-----

Problem: The convex hull of a subset $A$ in a vector space $V$ is the set of all convex combinations of vectors from $A$, that is,\[t_1x_1+t_2x_2+\cdots+t_nx_n,\]
where $t_i\in[0,1]$ and $\sum_{i=1}^n t_i=1$, $x_1,x_2,\ldots,x_n\in A$ and $n\in\mathbb{N}$ any natural number. Prove that the convex hull of $A$ is convex and that it is the intersection of all convex sets that contain $A$.

-----

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's question. Here's my solution:

Denote the convex hull of $A$ by\[C=\left\{\lambda_1x_1+\lambda_2x_2+\cdots+\lambda_nx_n : \lambda_i\in[0,1],\,\sum_{i=1}^n \lambda_i=1.\right\}\]
We first show that $C$ is convex. Let $\sum_i\alpha_ix_i,\sum_i \beta_ix_i\in C$. Consider the combination
\[t\left(\sum_i \alpha_ix_i\right) + (1-t)\left(\sum_i \beta_ix_i\right) = \sum_i x_i(t\alpha_i + (1-t)\beta_i)\]
for $t\in[0,1]$. Note that for all $i$,
\[t\alpha_i + (1-t)\beta_i\geq 0\]
since $\alpha_i,\beta_i\in[0,1]$. Furthermore,
\[\sum_i t\alpha_i + (1-t)\beta_i = t\left(\sum_i \alpha_i\right) + (1-t)\left(\sum_i \beta_i\right) = t(1)+(1-t)(1) = 1\]
Thus, $\sum_i x_i(t\alpha_i + (1-t)\beta_i)\in C$. Therefore $C$ is convex.Now, assume that $S$ is the intersection of all convex sets containing $x_1,\ldots,x_i$. We just showed that $C$ is convex, so we must have $S\subseteq C$. To show $C\subseteq S$, we proceed by induction on $i$. The base is trivial. Suppose that convex combinations of $n-1$ of the $x_i$'s are in $S$. WLOG, let $y=t_1x_1+\ldots + t_{n-1}x_{n-1}+t_nx_n$ for $x_i\in A$. If one of the $t_i=0$, then we are done by the inductive hypothesis. Otherwise, we note that
\[y=(1-t_n)\left( \frac{1}{1-t_n} (t_1x_1+\ldots + t_{n-1}x_{n-1})\right) + t_nx_n.\]
Since $\sum_{i=1}^n t_i=1$, we know that
\[1-t_n= t_1+\ldots +t_{n-1};\]
thus, the equation for $y$ reduced to $y=(1-t_n)z+t_nx_n$ where $z$ is a convex combination of $n-1$ of the $x_i$'s. This now reduces to the case where $n=2$, implying that $(1-t_n)z+t_n x_n$ is convex. Thus, $C\subseteq S$ which now implies that the convex hull is the intersection of all convex sets that contain $A$.$\hspace{.25in}\blacksquare$

Related to Solution: Proof of Convex Hull's Convexity and Intersection Property

1. What is the Convex Hull?

The Convex Hull is defined as the smallest convex set that contains all given points in a specific space. In other words, it is the most compact convex shape that encompasses all the points in a set.

2. What is the Convexity Property of the Convex Hull?

The Convexity Property states that any line segment connecting two points within the Convex Hull must also be contained within the Convex Hull. This means that the Convex Hull is always a convex shape, with no indentations or concave portions.

3. What is the Intersection Property of the Convex Hull?

The Intersection Property states that the Convex Hull of the intersection of two sets of points is equal to the intersection of their individual Convex Hulls. In other words, the Convex Hull of the points shared by two sets is the same as the shared points of their individual Convex Hulls.

4. Why is the Convex Hull important in mathematics and science?

The Convex Hull has many applications in mathematics and science, including optimization, computational geometry, and data analysis. It allows us to simplify complex shapes and data sets into more manageable and understandable forms.

5. How is the Convexity and Intersection Property of the Convex Hull proven?

The Convexity and Intersection Property of the Convex Hull can be proven using mathematical proofs and concepts from geometry and linear algebra. This involves showing that the properties hold for any given set of points and cannot be violated. Many different methods can be used to prove these properties, including induction, contradiction, and direct proof.